mba resumes

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

mba resumes

by tj123 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:33 pm
Hi, I didnt find any real threads on the resume portion of the app.
I worked part time throughout undergrad and full time after undergrad (almost 5 years now)

Anyone have any insights on the following:
Is it ok to have a 2 page long resume so that I can make sure all my relevant experience from undergrad internships to post undergrad exp are reflected?

Is it best to cut out the undergrad internship work and just keep it to one page with the focus post undergrad work?

I am thinking of the following outline:

Brief summary:
Objective line:
Work Experience (starting with the most recent)
Education
General Skills
Extra Curric.

LEt me know some thoughtts on all this thanks.

MBA Admissions Consultant

by erins » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:25 am
Hi -

I would recommend keeping your resume to one page. Taking out your undergrad internships is fine and, in fact, what we would suggest. In the application/short answers you will have opportunity to list all previous employment, so you can elect to include this information here. If there is something exceptional that you feel strongly about including with respect to your undergraduate work, you could include it in the Education or Personal section.

In terms of employment experience, your resume should highlight your post undergrad work, focusing specifically on actions and results rather than listing your responsibilities.

Lastly, regarding your outline, I would also suggest removing the objective as it is understood that your objective is acceptance into business school.
Erin Schuhmacher, MBA
Senior Consultant

Our Mission is Your Mission

mbaMission

www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

Read the mbaMission Guides (12 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Visit the mbaMission Twitter

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

follow up resume question

by ageiger » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:54 pm
I have done a number of independent consulting/freelance projects in the past 8 months, how would you recommend addressing those on the resume? Bundled together, listed separately? The roles and projects were all slightly different and add to my story.

Also, I have always worked at startups so even in the company I was with the longest I had a few titles and a bunch of different projects and responsibilities. Point being, I don't know what to leave off. Is it important to list everything since graduation? I had a few jobs right after undergrad that didn't last long and I was planning to leave those off altogether. Someone thought that would look suspicious, what do you recommend?

Thanks,
Abe

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:1 members

by Brett N » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:37 am
First, I would definitely recommend a 1 page resume. The admissions people are looking at thousands of resumes and so you don't want to annoy them with a two pagers.

If you've done a few independent stuff, I might recommend creating a company (costs $250 to do it legit) or just name a section Independent Consulting and list all of the important rolls there.

One great thing about working with a consultant such as me is that I build applications that point a full picture. So the answer to your question about resume relates to your application story is. Do you want to be a VC afterward? Do you want to go back to startup? Then I would recommend building a resume to reflect your story. Feel free to contact me directly if you want more info.
Please free to contact me at [email protected] or through our
profile evaluation form.

Ivy App Success