Gone from 530 to 560....dissappointed!! Give up.

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Gone from 530 to 560....dissappointed!! Give up.

by sp19 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:27 am
I took first time I got 530, 43,19 and this time 560 with 47,21........The best part is last time I knew I had some things that I needed to improve such as give many full length pratice tests, improve SC, RCs. I studied for 4 weeks only verbal and almost didn't touch Quant except for few days.

This is how it started...I had farely easy AWA topics. I was happy. Later Quant started. The first question was Median and Mode related tough question, I think I marked wrong after spending 4 mins. Later I got 26 DS question at a stretch !!!! All verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry lengthy calculations...I started losing my confidence. I thought I would be doomed this time due to Quant. I got 4-5 PS later one which I could answer. But again Last 5-6 questions started going back to tough DSs. So, in total I had 33-34 DS questions.. To answer, them I used POE strategy most of the time as they were very hard.

I have never faced so many DS questions in any practice test before.. Isn't it an uncommon experience ????

I thought about Quant in the break and felt low, but later, I think I was fine when I started verbal. I wiped out the Quant experience from my mind. I got 4-5 SCs in the beginning and later an RC, I answered all of them very carefully. I was feeling confident. I ran out of time toward the end for 3-4 questions and had to skip 2 CRs and answer 2 SCs in haste. Finally I clicked the "report score" button.....only to see 560...........Q47, V21....................What a confidence killer!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I have a 12% score improvement in Quant without studying and 5% improvment for studying verbal day and night :-) What an irony!!! Maybe if I hadn't studied verbal at all like Quant I would have scored better..........

I found that SCs were simpler this time, RCs were okay and unlike last time I answered all RCs this time...However, CRs were the killers...They were very very confusing and had a lot of "complete sentences"....

I took a lot of time to make sure I answer the first 15-20 questions as correct as possible.

I tried to overcome all possible weaknesses I had in the verbal. I started getting 660 constantly on GMATPreps (47,34) and 690 on MGMATs..I thought I would get atleast a 30 in verbal this time.

Now, I give up as I have lost the faith in hardwork...I have no direction. I tried my best. Never studied anything this sincerely before...GMAT is all about LUCK!!! If you don't have it, you are screwed.

Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Bidisha800 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:08 pm
I disagree. GMAT is all about strategy and practice. You can spent a year in preparation but if you are not following right directions (unlike those that are given in Kaplan and Princeton) you can't score 650+.

If you want to be my study partner for next 2 months, please PM me.

by sp19 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:48 am
Thanks for your reply...I have gone through Kaplan, Princeton,OG, Purple Verbal Guide, MGMAT several times and exhausted the material..It is something more than practice and strategy that is needed on the G-day. Not everyone who scores above 650 can score the same if asked to retake the exam...

Like I said, I got 32-33 DS questions in Quant. I don't think many might have experienced this...

Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Bidisha800 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:11 am
Don't feed the troll.
This jackass doesn't need any help.

by sp19 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:35 am
You need to be thrown out of the Forum for using such unhealthy language!! And for sure you do need mental help.

by supershick » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:51 pm
haha bidisha, u're a dick....that was unwarranted. you go troll somewhere else. the man/woman is just trying to ask for help.

unless i missed a deleted post then i apologize =P

by sp19 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:29 pm
supershick,
Thanks for understanding me. Yes, I do need help.....
Thanks.