Pls Evaluate My Issue Essay.

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Pls Evaluate My Issue Essay.

by missionmba » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:40 am
The author claims that traditional method to evaluate candidates is not effective. The author asserts that Traditional question-and-answer mwthod to evaluate candidates for job is not effective and the employers should observe candidates as they perform some of the tasks that are required by the job. I completely agree with the authors assertion. Traditional methods to evaluate cadidate for job are now out dated and not upto the mark in selecting candidates who can perform the tasks well.

One reason for my belief is that traditional method of evaluating job candidates is based more on theoretical or bookish knowledge than on actual practicle knowledge. I believe that theoretical knowlege is important only for making people aware about the topic and cancepts. Having theoretical knowledge doesnt mean that the person will be able to put the knowlede effectively. For Example, Many of the IT companies use the traditional question and answer method for evaluating candidates for coding related jobs. The job candidate is evaluated for his knowledge for theoretical concepts, syntax of the coding language and other general exeptions and limitations also he might be required to write a sample program but all this is related to theory which the candidate can aquire by reading books. The comcepts do not change rapidly so if some one can mug up all the comcepts he will get selected in such job interviews. Thus the traditional method fails to evaluate a candidate who has potential to apply the knowlege which he has gained.

Another reason for my belief is actual tasks related to the jobs will give more clear and effective picture of the candidate which the employer is going to choose. After giving the job candidate a task related to the job which the candidate is going to do after selection, the employer can see how well the candidate adapts himself to the new task and he can also evaluate how innovative or knowledgeful the candidate is for the job which he will do in case he is selected. For Example, If a job requires a good programmer, the employer can give a task related or similar to the project which the employer will allot to the candidate, the wmployer can see how he does the job then and there. How well the candidate adapts himself with the new situation and how well he does the work. Thus, evaluating the candidate based on the task which he is going to do after being selected will ensure that the employer will choose a candidate who has proved himself by completing a actual job related task during the interview rather than selecting a candidate by tradition bookish method.

Finally, the main reason for my belief is that in todays competitive environment companies do not have enough time to give training to people who do not have any previous knowledge about the company or about its bussiness. Thus if the employer tests the candidates based on actual job related tasks then the employer not only save the money for training these candidates but also most importantly the time required for training them. Thus becomes very important for employers of today to more emphasis on the evatuation methods with relae to the job tasks.

In conclusion, for all the above reasons i belive that the traditional question-and-answer interviews to evaluate job candidates is not applicable in todays competitve world since they tend to evaluate candidates based on their theoritical answers. We should give more improtance and preference to methods of evaluating candidates based on actual job related tasks as it would provide more clear picture of how the candidate will perform after he is hired.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have few questions:

1> Sometimes its difficult to think of any real world example in those 30 mins, so what to do then? :? i mean should i keep writing or should i try to come up with some supporting examples.

2> Is it Ok if i write: intro + two 7-8 line paras + conclusion?

3> Any suggestions for time management?

4> is there any mark deduction for using essay templates from test prep books like kaplan, princeton, mgmat etc?
Attachments
Issue#2-GMATPrep.JPG
GMATPrep Issue # 2
Mission Mba

Everyone has a will to win but very few have the will to prepare to win

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:55 am
IMO:

-- The essay is very much against the traditional method.It would have appealed more if u had given the due respect for the traditional method of interviewing.Traditional method too has it's pros.(If that was not the case,top consulting org. wouldn't be still following that method)

--You can as well think of examples from different industries.You have mentioned both the examples pertaining to the IT industry.It's always nice to read something different & i guess the evaluators too feel the same.(tho i too belong to the IT fraternity)

--You have concluded that you are for 'practical/on job' interviews after each of ur examples.You could have as well done,once,after all ur examples.

overall,i should say,the essay is on the decent side.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Jus sharing some thoughts

by ashish1354 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:29 am
I read somewhere that it is better to avoid the use of I to refer or reinforce the opinion as in doing so opinion will lose its objectivity. besides that consider paying attention to usage of correct form of words. for example. Knowledgeful has been used in place of knowledgeable and in some places sentences are fragments.