flaw

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

flaw

by Soumita Ghosh » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:04 pm

Does not A actually strengthening the argument rather than weakening ? Though medicine defeat the the infectious diseases such as cholera, tuberculosis and small pox that helps the people to live till old age. But the medicine fails to cure heart disease which occurs at old age.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:07 pm
Soumita Ghosh wrote:Image

Does not A actually strengthening the argument rather than weakening ? Though medicine defeat the the infectious diseases such as cholera, tuberculosis and small pox that helps the people to live till old age. But the medicine fails to cure heart disease which occurs at old age.
Here, you are not being asked to strengthen the argument. You are being asked to identify why the current argument is flawed. The argument assumes that b/c death from heart disease has gone up ---> well, that must mean that modern medicine has failed. But... what if the denominator has gone down b/c of elimination of other diseases? Heart disease now looks to represent a bigger piece of the pie! But, as we know, percentages are ALWAYS deceiving.

Does this make sense?

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)