Requesting for the evaluation fo the essay....Please

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I'm trying to improve on my essay writing capabilities. Please provide your valuable feed back....

Thanks.

"Seniority (years of service) should not be the basis of employee compensation. Employees should be promoted and given raises solely on the basis of their work performance and merit. That is a better way to encourage high productivity."
Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations or reading.

Essay:

The issue in the discussion is to determine whether Seniority or the Work performance is the basis for the promotion and the better way to improve productivity. My opnion of the issue is both seniority and merit in the Work performance need to be considered for the promotion and basis for the employee compensation. Below explains the reasoning for the my stand on the argument.

If seniority is the only measure for the basis of the employee compensation, then the motivation to work and prove the capabilities among the employees will be lost as the merit is not recognized and rewarded. So this will make the work environment lethargic and dull. For example, if an employees works 10 hours a day and completes all the tasks on time and his co employee works only for 6 hours a day partially completing the day' s tasks, considering that only seniority will be basis for the compensation, the hard working employee's enthusiasm will be lost as his hard work is not rewarded.

Considering the work performance and merit are the sole basis for the promotion, there are possibilities that this might cause a disharmony among the employees. For example, if a few employees are extremely intelligent and they are promoted with out much seniority, then lot of other employees who are seniors to the employees promoted might not be comfortable with the reporting process. This will cause employee dissatisfaction. This consequence can cause reduction in the productivity as the employees are not happy. Also there will be a case that the proximity to the managers will be misutilized to get the promotion without being actually meritorious and the case for the work performance as the criteria will be misutilized. So work performance cannot be the sole criteria.

So there should be minimum seniority criteria along with the work performance levels as the criteria for the promotion and the compensation. Guidelines should be published to the employees very clearly. This way the employees who perform efficiently and prove the merit can get the promotion on time or early based on the guidelines when compared to the non performing employees. This will improve the harmony among the employees as every is aware of what need to be done for the promotion. The employees will be satisfied as well. Satisfaction among the employees improves the productivity.

Based on the above points, my opinion is that both the Seniority and work performance are required for the promotion and compensation. This will provide an enviroment for the employees to work hard as their hard work is the rewarded and senior employees will not be dissatisfied as they are aware of the guidelines for the promotions.