Plz rate my eaasy - 4

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Plz rate my eaasy - 4

by hopefully » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:42 am
I dont remember the exact arguement :(

An advertise agency claims that they are best in the field... they did a survey before the Ad and only 5% of people heard abt the company whose product they were advertising... after the ads it was 80% of the people who knew the name...They hired a professional golfer who also went to win a major championship after endorsing the product ..

discuss how well reasoned etc ..

--------------------------------

The arguement at a perfunctory glance tries to convince us but after perusal reading we find that there are several flaws in the arguement that can undermine the image of the advertising agency rather than polishing it.

Primarily, an advertisement is meant to shoot up the sales of the product being publicized. In this example no evidences have been provided which prove that the sales of the apparel company products saw an upward trend after the series of ads was aired. Some statistical data quoting the pre-ad and post ad sales figures would have been helpful in evaluating the effectiveness of the ads.

Secondarily, we know that surveys were conducted before and after the advertisements but there is no mention of the sample that was surveyed. We do not know whether the survey was actually done on the target customer bracket for the products. The accuracy of the survey outcome can be questioned easily unless some more information is provided as to who were surveyed and what was asked.

Furthermore a better celebrity spokesperson for an apparel industry would have been someone from the glamour world and golfer should have been hired for promoting golf accesories.
It is true that the golfer won a pofessional championship and has its own fan following but the agency hired him even before that happened.This clearly shows that the company selected an infamous sportsperson and that it just got lucky in this case.

To conclude, in the advertisement more facts are hidden than revealed. Statistical data and elevant information should be provided by the agency to substantiate their claim that they are the best in the field.