another sample

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

another sample

by lan0583 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:51 pm
your strategy is really good. But do I use this strategy? Is it when I am in the difficult level or from the start of the test?

And also too, please analyze this question?

An array of tax incentives has led to a boom in the construction of new office buildings; so abundant has capital been for commercial real estate that investors regularly scour the country for areas in which to build.

thank you.[/b]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:3 members

by TestPundit Anurag » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:08 pm
Thanks lan0583:

I am glad you like the strategy. I would not recommend this strategy on every question if you have limited time to prepare for the test. It takes a bit of practice to do this type of structural breakdown quickly. (We make our students practice hundreds of questions with this approach and that helps.) But if you have some time before you take your test, then, with practice, this type of analysis can become your second nature. More importantly, you will never have any problem comprehending complex sentences ever again.

For those with limited time, I would suggest using this strategy on complex sentences. In the actual test, you may not want to write down the structure; instead, use this strategy to identify the key elements where gmat errors usually lie. That will help you identify the errors quickly and allow you to eliminate wrong choices quickly.

Now to your question:

An array of tax incentives has led to a boom in the construction of new office buildings; so abundant has capital been for commercial real estate that investors regularly scour the country for areas in which to build.

Analysis:

"Noun phrase A" has led to "verb phrase B";
"idiom so clause A that clause B"

There are two main ways of using idiom so...that:

1. so abundant has capital been for commercial real estate that investors regularly scour the country for areas in which to build.

2. capital has been so abundant for commercial real estate that investors regularly scour the country for areas in which to build.

People often get confused beteen the above idiom and the idiom such...that. While so...that is used for the measure of something and goes with an adjective (so abundant, so long, so beautiful), such...that is used for nature of something and is followed by an abstract noun (such abundance, such length, such beauty)

Unless I am missing something in my hurry here, the sentence you posted seems to be correct.

Hope that helps
Anurag Mairal, Ph.D.
TestPundit
510 449 2229
Your Highest GMAT Score is Our Mission
GMAT Expert for Beat The GMAT!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:3 members

by TestPundit Anurag » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:11 pm
I meant "noun phrase B" in the structural analysis ("a boom in the construction of new office buildings").
Anurag Mairal, Ph.D.
TestPundit
510 449 2229
Your Highest GMAT Score is Our Mission
GMAT Expert for Beat The GMAT!