Performance on quant affects the question level in verbal

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi GMAT

I feel that whenever i do good in quant on gmatprep the level of questions I see on verbal after break are comparatively difficult and I see questions of much higher difficulty in the beginning of the verbal test. I used to suppose that verbal and quant are two independent way to measure skills. But lately as i attempted gmatprep i figured out that doing very well in quant throws difficult questions in verbal from the very beginning of the test...
If all u see are obstacles, may be it is because you have taken your eyes off the goal...

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:32 am
The sections are completely independent of each other...
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:35 pm
Hello, gmatwar13!

Your performance on the quant section will not affect the questions you receive on the verbal section, or vice versa. This is true for both the GMAT exam and Official GMAT prep products.

Thanks!
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members

by David@VeritasPrep » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:10 am
Also, Rebecca made clear in the posting I have linked below that your performance in one question type (CR, SC, RC) does not impact the questions that you get for the other. So not only does Quant not impact Verbal, but the other areas of verbal do not impact each other!

Maybe it is just that you work so hard to do well at Quant that you are tired in verbal? Of else tough luck?

https://www.beatthegmat.com/how-does-the ... 14296.html
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:53 am
As you do well in Quant, your performance in Verbal improves due to higher confidence, so you see more difficult question. CR Abilities :).

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:59 am
AbhiJ that is ver clever! I have to agree!!

However, if I were being serious there is one thing I would say...

It is your impression of how you did that matters more than how you really did. In my last two exams that I have taken - official tests - it was my impression of how I did on the Quant that mattered more in terms of the verbal.

On the test from 2010 I thought that I was doing great on the Quant section. I guess I made a few simple mistakes and that meant that I had some easier questions so it felt great. I went into the Verbal section literally thinking 790. I actually road that wave to a perfect 51 on the verbal. Then I got my score and it was my lowest Quant score and a 760 overall.

Then in 2011 I had a hard time on the Quant. I was a little tired and things were tougher. I struggled more and I felt like I had done poorly. This impacted my verbal and I dropped to a 46. However, it was my top quant score and I got a 770. Yet, if I had tried my best in the verbal instead of being down it would have been a 780.

The moral of the story is that how you actually did on Quant does not matter. You will not know until the test is over. How you think you did does matter. So whatever happens tell yourself you did great!!! If it was easy, that is because you are so smart. If it was tough, that is because you are so smart! Whatever the reality you will find out soon enough. So throughout the entire test just tell yourself that you are doing great...
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course