MBA programme differences...

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

MBA programme differences...

by asamanta » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:35 pm
Hi Lisa,

I have been looking through a lot of the Business Schools Webpages but I have not yet been able to understand the difference between the different MBA programs offered.

Could you guide me as to which of the following would be most useful to me (I am 24 and plan to start my MBA at the age of 25) and why:

1) 2 year Full-Time MBA
2) Part-Time MBA
3) 1 year accelerated MBA
4) Executive MBA

I always thought a full time MBA was better than a part time one ? Is this true ?
Secondly, What is the difference between the accelerated MBA and the regular MBA in terms of job perspectives after MBA.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:02 am
Dear asamanta,

I will provide a broad, general description of each program. However, there are slight variances at different schools so you should always clarify program requirements/duration/services with each school.

1) 2 year full-time MBA: this is a traditional MBA program. Students attend class 4-5 days of the week and do not work during the program. They usually do a summer internship between the first and second year. The full-time MBA is the best option for people with 0-10 years of work experience who desire a career change and/or want to focus on being a student and maximizing the MBA experience.

2) Part-time MBA: this is a program for people who want to stay on their current career path or make a slight change. Students attend classes in the evenings or on the weekends while working full-time. Program duration is usually 2-3 years.

3) 1 year accelerated MBA: this program condenses the MBA requirements into a shorter time frame. Students go to school full-time and do not work. Likewise, they do not have an opportunity to do a summer internship. Schools that offer this option usually require the students to have an undergraduate degree in business.

4) Executive MBA: this program is for folks with at least 10 years of experience that are already on a managerial track. Classes are usually on the weekends and students work full-time while attending the program.

One program is not necessarily better than another, but the best program depends on the background and goals of each individual . At 25, you should probably be looking at a full-time or part-time program. If you want to make a career change, maximize the student experience, and/or do an internship, then you want to apply to full-time programs.

In terms of career prospects, graduates from any of these programs can secure a job in their desired industry IF they are willing to put the hard work and time into the job search. There are some companies and industries that have a bias and prefer candidates in the traditional, 2 year full-time MBA programs. But overall, it is really up to you to pursue the next career opportunity and secure your next job.

Hope the helps,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by asamanta » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:43 pm
Thank you very much Lisa, This has been extreamly helpful to know.

Would you have any idea about the essay topics required my USC and NYU as they are not listed on the Marshall and Stern websites.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:20 pm
Most schools have not released the applications for fall 2009 entry yet. You should keep check the schools' websites weekly as these applications will go live anytime between now and mid-August.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me