Essays from Non Natives - are GMAT Readers kinder?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:6 members
Hello,

I learned from various resources that the GMAT Readers are apparently kinder when they evaluate essays from non natives.
First of all: Is that true?

In case it is: How do they determine whether someone is native or not? I am German. However, I moved to the USA 6 months ago. Will I still "benefit", or does the fact that I take the exam in the USA void any possible kindness?

Thank you,
Kevin
Last edited by Kevinst on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:730

by machichi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:57 pm
I 100% doubt it. Ha, if they wanted to level the playing field, they'd have to make the math section easier for non-Indians!

There is no way they'd have that kind of system. It's a standardized test, which is supposed to mean that it doesn't matter who takes it, only that it has been taken.
Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
https://www.mbabreakaway.com/
Recent post: July 12, "Summer"

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:43 am
Kevinst wrote:Hello,

I learned from various resources that the GMAT Readers are apparently kinder when they evaluate essays from non natives.
First of all: Is that true?

In case it is: How do they determine whether someone is native or not? I am German. However, I moved to the USA 6 months ago. Will I still "benefit", or does the fact that I take the exam in the USA void any possible kindness?

Thank you,
Kevin
Sorry - no breaks for non-native English speakers.
Keep in mind, that one of the two readers is a computer program!

Although you won't get a break on your AWA score, it's quite possible that certain Business Schools will take your non-native status into consideration when evaluating your application.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com