My "Deep Thoughts" Regarding SC

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

My "Deep Thoughts" Regarding SC

by cccmom » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:15 pm
I recently completed all 113 questions in the Verbal Review and here is what I learned. Does anyone else want to share some SC "deep thoughts"?
"¢ If I can't find anything wrong with the sentence, go with A. I have a hard time choosing A. I feel like I missed something and need to trust my instincts more.
"¢ On harder level questions, don't forget to consider logical meaning. Sometimes I get caught up in analyzing the technicalities that I forget to see if the sentence makes sense!
"¢ Also, on the harder levels questions, read the answer choices. Sometimes the order of words changes and the sentences are not exact enough to eliminate on splits alone.
"¢ If a sentence is too hard and I can't comprehend it, remove the fluff and try to strip it down to basics. I find it helps if I use x and y instead of words. It makes it easier to see patterns.
"¢ On long sentences, be sure to read what comes before and after the underlined portion. It is tempting to want to jump to the answer choices, but reading the full given sentence will provide a hint as to sentence meaning, verb tense, and overall direction.
"¢ Know and apply the difference between present perfect and past perfect. I can't believe how much this comes up! I thought I had understood this, but now I really understand it!!
"¢ Slow down and read each word! I find I am all pumped up to move quickly, especially after moving along on other verbal problems and I need to S-L-O-W down for SC. The difference between an answer can be just a word! I miss it, if I move too quickly. (Thanks to GMAT Ninja (https://gmatninja.com/2010/03/03/gmat-ve ... rformance/) for helping me realize this one!)
"¢ Every time I miss an idiom, I write it down on an index card to review. (Thanks to article by MHGMAT for that tip!)
I look forward to hearing your SC tips!
:D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by pharmxanthan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:11 am
Hi cccmom, thanks for the post! I am just beginning to prepare for GMAT which I have scheduled for July. Which is the best way to prepare for SC? I get confused a lot when strategy guides use the "technical terms" of grammar like gerund phrase, noun modifiers, etc. alongwith a bunch of rules!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by cccmom » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:28 am
Hi, Pharmxanthan!

I am far from the expert, but I will help you in any way I can. I don't know what all the terms mean, but I am trying to learn what the rules are! Try to focus on meaning, even if you can't categorize them. Fortunately, the GMAT doesn't test whether we know if it is past perfect. They just want us to know how to apply it!

I have found the MHGMAT SC Guide to be essential. I went through it once and am using it again as a reference for concepts. I keep a list of the ones I miss and I look them up on the forums to see what people say about them. I have also used online tutoring with GMAT Ninja. He is highly knowledgeable and helped me to get started! He can be a great guide to simplifying the rules. Here is his website - https://gmatninja.com/

If you don't have the Official Guide and the Blue Verbal book, these are really important to have. I wasted too much time practicing with unofficial materials. GMATNinja taught me that this has really hurt my progress.

I would also recommend having an approach for each SC problem. There are some excellent articles on this forum on how to approach problems. I especially like the ones Stacey from MHGMAT has put up! It is so key to practice getting it wrong or right in the right amount of time. I use a timer on each question to time myself. My strategy incorporates what to do when I am at time and don't know the answer. I used to spend way too much deciding between 2 possible choices. I am getting better at guessing and moving on!

Also, keep a list of the ones you are missing and really analyze these (and later re-do them making sure you recognize the concepts you previously missed). Again, there are some great articles by Stacey with MHGMAT that talk about how to do this. Doing problems within itself is not very helpful, but learning why you are getting certain ones wrongs has HUGE opportunity and major potential for score increases!

I wish you lots of success as you study. :D I am taking the test in 2 weeks for my 4th and final time!
Let me know if I can help in any way,
CCCMom

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by pharmxanthan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:25 pm
Thanks cccmom! And best of lucks for GMAT!