Your Advice on Schools

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:680

Your Advice on Schools

by suffissd » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:20 am
Hello, I am just starting to serioulsy look at schools and would appreciate your suggestions on schools to apply to.
I am a white female that graduated from a top liberal arts college with a degree in Biochemistry, biophysics and Molecular Biology. My undergrad GPA was a 3.4, and I did a one year certificate program in biochemistry with a 3.88 GPA.
I worked for one summer in a biotech company before taking a job at a prestigious lab at the National Institute of Health where I will be for 1.5 years when I start applying to MBA school.
I have a lot of volunteer experience and leadership experience including now at the NIH.
I am in the process of studying for the GMAT and so far on practice tests I am scoring in the middle 600's but hope to get in the high 600's.
I would like to go into the Biotech field and was hoping my devotion to science would make me more competitive.
I will be applying to U of W, U of Arizona, Stanford, MIT and Duke. Do you think I have a chance?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:57 pm
Hi S,

Thanks for your post.

First of all, you have an interesting choice of schools. Any reason why you are considering both Stanford and Arizona? They are worlds apart.

I think both S and MIT are a stretch, esp in this coming year, as MBA admission are going to be ultra competitive. Duke is a possibility if you are able to break 700 on your GMAT.

I would encourage you to check out more top 25 schools, as you have a strong GPA, work experience and post-MBA goals. At the same time, check out VP's School Selector tool, which can help you broaden your school choices.
https://www.veritasprep.com/selector

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep