Took a break. Is it right for me to pursue an MBA now?

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello! Am at a little fix and need your valuable inputs to decide further course of action. I am 30 year old apparel professional and am on a career break since one year for I got married, shifted ountry and now expecting a baby. Will be separating from my husband and for better financial stability and to raise my kid better, I want to do a full time MBA from a reputed institute. However, I think I should devote first 3 years totally for the baby and by the time appear for GMAT, and take admission then, by the time I will be 33! Is that too old for a full time MBA. Else, is part time MBA from upto top 15 ranking institutes worth it?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:35 am
In general, I think a part time might be better for you. If you are to devote 3 full years to raising your child, you will not be finished with your MBA for at least 5 years. Something to consider...
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 am
Hello, Psmba. It looks like you have a lot going on right now. It's great that you are thinking about getting an MBA. To answer your question, 33 is not too old to get an MBA! In fact, corporate recruiters tell us that work experience is extremely important to them. You can get the full details here: https://officialgmat.mba.com/2012/08/15/ ... -mba-hire/. So, if you decide to wait, you will still be in good shape when you get your MBA.

You may also want to consider how much time you will have available to get the most out of your MBA experience. We hear from business schools that students should expect to spend at least 2-3 hours on homework for every hour they spend in the classroom. Plus, schools often recommend that you join student groups and complete internships to get the most out of your MBA experience.

Many students choose part-time MBA programs so they can continue working while they earn their degree. When looking at part-time programs, you may want to ask them what kind of career placement services they offer for part-time students. As for calculating the ROI, a good place to start is to look at the cost of the program you are planning to attend, and weigh that against your expected salary upon graduation, your desire to advance in your career, or any other factors that are important to you. You can see some advice on how to decide if an MBA is the right choice for you here: https://www.mba.com/why-b-school/benefit ... e-roi.aspx.

Good luck!
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!