Visiting Universities

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Visiting Universities

by molt_llest » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:53 am
I am Planning to visit some of the universities that I will apply probably (Columbia, NY Stern, Harvard, Kellogg, Stanford, Chicago Gsb). Are the visits important? How should I plan those visits?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:43 am
Hi Molt,
Thanks for your post. Yes, visiting the schools is important. First of all, it demonstrates your interest in the school. But more importantly, you will have the chance to learn more about the program and interact with students/faculty/adcom; which are all beneficial as you go through the admissions process (writing your essays, interviews).

I would suggest contacting the schools directly. Most schools allow you to visit any day of the week - but many have specific Prospective Student days (every Thursday for example) which have more interactive activities (i.e. lunch chats, workshops, presentations).

I would also recommend staying on campus for a social event. Most programs have a school-sponsored Pub/Beer night (usually Thursday evenings) where students get together after class and relax/socialize. This is a great opportunity to interact with students outside of the classroom in a friendly environment.

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep