Test Center and GMACs responsibilities

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Test Center and GMACs responsibilities

by mehrabounr » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:06 am
Hi
I have a few questions about test centers. If it's possible please, answer them.
There's a lot of concern about test centers conditions.

1- How does GMAC (or pearson?!) choose a place to become a test center? Is there a code or specific standards that they have to meet? Do they have a guideline how to prepare the place when there's an exam?
for example, when i or a few others took our exams, There was so much noise that i couldn't even hear my own thoughts. There was a class next door and i could hear everything. The administrator would leave the exam rooms door open, etc.

What can we or GMAC or test centers do? (For example could i have stated my right as a test taker to keep the place quiet or close the doors or would they throw me out?)

2- Can test centers do something that is different from the rules or procedures that are mentioned in MBA.com? Are they allowed to deviate from that?

For example :
If we consider https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/test-day/wh ... enter.aspx and h[url]ttp://www.mba.com/the-gmat/test-day/test-cent ... tions.aspx[/url] as our guideline from an official source:

We should be able to bring "earplugs" and use them.right? But some of the test centers i know or heard about, they won't allow this.

Or we are told "not allowed to drink or eat in the test room" does that include bringing them as weel? Like bringing a closed bottle, pill, choclate to test room, but use them on breaks outside? Cause on a less than 8-minute break, there's just not enough time to get to the cupboard, unlock it, find these, use them , put them back, lock it, scan your palm and get back in your seat on time.

3- Unforeseen circumstances
What is GMAC policy on unforseen events? and What are GMACs responsibilities?

For example:
A test center has technical difficulties, and cant follow through with the exam. What happens to test takers?
Do they go to another center immediately? Do they have to reschedule?

GMAC can solve it's problem easily in such situations, but what about the test taker? what happens to/ for them?

A test taker who had to take the exam in another country, and his/her test is cancelled on test day, what happens? Do they get reimbursed for their expenses? Or GMAC doesn't accept any responsibility?

Or a test taker who has to meet a specific deadline and his/her appointment is cancelled, do GMAC guarantee him/her a replacement seat/place as soon as possible(the next day or two), even though all test centers in the area are full?

I know these might be rare situations that might never happen but I'm sure GMAC has thought of them and has the answers.

Some might not consider them important or related to ones experience of GMAT, but since they are raised, please answer them

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:33 am
Thank you for the detailed questions! First, I want to note that all incidents are handled on a case-by-case basis, so I can only point to general guidelines and explain how we approach these situations. As always, once you file an incident report, a Pearson Vue employee will handle your case directly.

1. We choose test centers based on the need in a specific region. Perspective test centers must meet certain criteria. Once a test center is approved as a GMAT test center, they are provided with all of the equipment necessary for proctoring the GMAT accordingly.

2. If there is a noise disturbance during your exam, you should bring it to the TA's attention. They will try to correct the problem and create an Incident Report. As per test takers rights and responsibilities: Promptly inform the appropriate person(s), as specified to you by the organization responsible for test administration, if you believe that testing conditions affected your results. I encourage you to review the Rights and Responsibilities on our website so you are prepared on test day: https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/test-day/th ... akers.aspx

3. You cannot bring ear plugs with you to the exam. Test centers should have ear plugs as well as noise cancelling headphones that they can provide you with. You may want to contact your test center in advance of your appointment to ensure they will have some in stock.

4. No food or drink will be permitted in the testing room. You may keep food or beverages in a locker to access during the breaks. I realize that gives you very little time, but we cannot allow candidates to bring food with them into the exam.

5. If there is a known problem prior to the exam, test takers will be notified and rescheduled. If there is an issue that occurs just before an exam or interrupts the exam for an extended period of time (usually over 30 minutes) someone from Pearson Vue will contact you to review the situation and possibly schedule a re-take at no charge.

6. GMAC and Pearson VUE are not responsible for any fees associated with travel. If compensation is offered to the test taker, it will only be in the form of a new exam.

7. Pearson VUE will work with the candidate to schedule the next available appointment that is convenient for the test taker. We encourage students to schedule their exam at least 21 days prior to their first admission deadline, but as far in advance of the deadline as possible. While you should not schedule your exam before you are ready, you should allow enough time to re-take the exam, if you think that should be necessary, and to allow for any unforeseen circumstances.
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

by mehrabounr » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:25 pm
Rebecca,
Thank you for answering all my bizarre questions in such detail.

I just have one more question.

Is the test room specific to GMAT or GMAT test takers or they may use the space at the same time for conducting other exams such as TOEFL,etc.?

I ask this out of curiosity and because when i took my exam, there were 3 other people in the room but it seemed like they were working on something else. It wasn't time difference, like because they started earlier than me, it looked different when i looked at their monitor ( i didn't mean to cheat, just when i walked in, wanted to get a sense of things so i looked around and what i saw, appeared to me as different than GMAT). Also they were asking a lot of questions during the exam (half the cause of noise and the open door in my case) but as far as I know GMAT doesn't leave any place to ask anything.It's pretty clear what is expected and what to do in test room :D

So just out of curiosity do they administer different exams at the same time or i just imagined it because i was stressed out?

Thanks again for the other answer.

by mehrabounr » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:32 pm
(Really sorry for being such a pain)

You mentioned "If there is an issue that occurs just before an exam or interrupts the exam for an extended period of time (usually over 30 minutes) someone from Pearson Vue will contact you to review the situation and possibly schedule a re-take at no charge"

If the interruptions is for less than that time, (like fuse burnt! and they fixed it quickly), then what happens? Do they start the exam from the beginning? or what?

For example, if I get to question 16 on quant, my AWA & IR & 16Qs, are they saved somewhere and when they turn the systems on, i can continue from Q 17 or i need to start from 0 and write the AWA and so on?

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:09 am
I'm happy to answer all of your questions! The test centers do conduct exams other than the GMAT exam, so it is likely that you did see students taking different exams.

As for your second question, as I said, Pearson Vue treats each incident on an individual basis. If you encounter an issue during the exam that you feel should result in a re-test, I encourage you to file an incident report. It really depends on the specifics of the situation and the length of the delay. Good luck!

Edit: In rereading your second question, I also want to clarify: In the case of a shorter delay, you would pick up where you left off. You would not start over from the beginning.
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!