diet program

This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

diet program

by arora007 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:41 am
A certain diet program calls for eating daily calories from carbohydrates, proteins, and fats in the ratio of 40:30:30 respectively. On a certain day, did Bill follow this diet program? (1 gram of fat contains 9 calories, 1 gram of protein contains 4 calories, and 1 gram of carbohydrates contains 4 calories)
1) One of the meals Bill ate contained 80 grams of carbohydrates, 60 grams of protein, and 60 grams of fat.
2) Bill ate 1500 calories during the day.

Q 168 from papgust 300 questions, OA is C, strangely Bill did not follow the diet plan, the explanation is not clear to me.
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:09 am
Hey Arora,

Good question - this is a pretty good example of an overarching Data Sufficiency strategy:

Don't pick E unless you can prove for certain that you can't solve the problem!

Think about it - business schools want people who can do the most with the least amount of resources. So it's not in their interest to reward people for an "easy" E (why is it that most of my posts this week contain inadvertent hip-hop shout-outs?).

In this question, it seems almost obvious that E is the answer:

1) Only tells us about 1 meal, and we know that he probably ate more than that

2) Tells us about the total for the day, but nothing about individual breakdowns of fat, protein, and carbs

E seems pretty obvious, right? Neither statement alone tells us all that much.

That should be your clue that you have to dig further...they won't make E that easy!

If you dig deeper and do the conversions from statement 1, you find that Bill ate:

80 grams * 4 calories/gram of carbs: 320 calories from carbs
60 grams * 4 calories/gram of protein: 240 calories from protein
60 grams * 9 calories/gram of fat: 540 grams from fat

Statement 2 tells us that he had 1500 calories total, and with the carbs:protein:fat ratio of 40:30:30, he should have had:

600 calories from carbs
450 from protein
450 from fat

So he should have 450 calories from fat, but in one sitting he had 540, so he's already over the limit. He did not, then, follow the diet.

Now, breaking down all of that math was a little time-consuming, but keep in mind that E is arguably the answer choice that you have to prove the most. The GMAT can't reward you for throwing up your hands quickly and saying "can't be done", as that's not the attitude that will make you successful in business. Rather, the value of E as a "business" answer choice is your ability to say "I could do it, but I'd need this one additional resource that we just don't have". In order to select E as your answer, you should be able to point to that one piece of necessary information that you just aren't given. Because of that, it usually pays to dig deeper before selecting E.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:06 am
Brian@VeritasPrep wrote: (why is it that most of my posts this week contain inadvertent hip-hop shout-outs?).
Because you Rock!! thanks a lot!!
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!