GMAT RC question

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

GMAT RC question

by hey_thr67 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:00 pm
Is it true that adaptive algorithms stops working in RC questions ? The questions of a RC are constant irrespective of how one answers part of them.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:14 pm
Thanks for the thoughtful question! To clarify: the reading comprehension section is computer adaptive. The set of questions, 3 or 4, that share the same reading passage works as a unit in the adaptive process. Those passages are adaptive based on your response to previous RC questions during the exam. I hope I answered the question.
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by thulsy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:26 pm
OfficialGMAT wrote:Thanks for the thoughtful question! To clarify: the reading comprehension section is computer adaptive. The set of questions, 3 or 4, that share the same reading passage works as a unit in the adaptive process. Those passages are adaptive based on your response to previous RC questions during the exam. I hope I answered the question.
Sorry, let me retract this question since I just saw the same question answered elsewhere.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/how-does-the ... 14296.html

Hi OfficialGMAT,
So you mean the RC is adaptive with respect to previous performance on RC only - not on SC/CR?
In general, does the adaptive feature cross-sectional?

I mean, suppose a test-taker is very strong at SC (meaning he/she answers all the SC questions correctly no matter the difficulty level), very weak at CR, and average at RC, then in this adaptive test, he/she will get questions in which of the following pattern?
A. difficult SC question, easy CR question, average RC question
B. average questions in SC, CR, and RC
C. other (please specify)

Thanks in advance.

Official Company Rep

by OfficialGMAT » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:34 am
You are correct that the CAT format is specific to question type. So, the level of difficulty of questions you receive is based on your performance on that same type of question, only. So, your ability to answer high-level sentence correction questions will not affect the difficulty level of critical reasoning questions you receive. I hope that answers your question.
Leah

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:25 am
That's an interesting information. Would the same be applied to PS and DS problems ? PS problems are used to test your conceptual knowledge or basic mathematical skills, while DS is used to test the skills necessary to decide whether the information given is relevant or not.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Official Company Rep

by OfficialGMAT » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:10 am
The same is true for the quant questions. So your ability to answer PS questions does not affect the type of questions you will receive for DS, or any other question type. I hope that helps!
Leah