Need Help to Strategies

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Need Help to Strategies

by nidhisinha » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:50 pm
Hi,

I had taken GMAT last October and scored a miserable 540. Though it was mainly due to bad health, but nonetheless it was an Extreme BAD score and not that i'm a great at it either.

Can you please advice how to go about with my GMAT test. I recently took 2 full length test and scored 640 (Q47, V32) and 620 (v29) in them.
I'm in a desperate need to crack the GMAT with a minimum score of 700 + to get into the desired schools.

I have couple of questions.
1. Can I give my GMAT by September 1st and 2nd week to start applying for 2013 admissions? Or should I target August end.
2. I need to improve in Verbal, is 2 months an enough time to increase my scores? I can't give up my work but can give around 2 hrs on weekdays and complete weekends.
3. For verbal, i'm playing to take e-gmat course as well as the Official Guide. And later will take up Grockit. will this be sufficient?
I don't want to try too many things, I tend to digress then.

Please guide,advise me.

Thanking you in advance,
Nidhi

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:31 am
Thanks for your question, Nidhi! First, please note that there is no one study strategy that works for everybody, or that can guarantee you a specific score. But I am happy to offer you some suggestions. As for your first question, you will need to take the GMAT exam at least 20 days before your first application deadline to ensure the schools receive your official score report in time. Other than that, the best time to take the exam is when you are ready, and are confident you are able to achieve your best score.

While I cannot comment on the other test prep materials you mentioned I am happy to offer you some suggestions. The Official Guide to the GMAT Exam, 13th Edition, is produced by GMAC and uses real, retired GMAT exam questions, so it will give you a good idea of what to expect in the exam. You may also want to try the Official Guide for Verbal Review, for extra practice on the Verbal section.

And finally, you I suggest you take a look at this blog post from our research department. They looked at the study habits of students who achieved high scores on the exam: https://officialgmat.mba.com/2012/04/19/ ... mat-score/. I hope all of this helps.
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by nidhisinha » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:01 am
Thank you so much. It definitely gives me a good direction to start with.

Regards,
Nidhi