Cost Cutting Measures

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Cost Cutting Measures

by imskpwr » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:45 pm
The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits, which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell over the last two years.

A. which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell

B. which had increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it had fallen

C. which have increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling over the last two years

D. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after falling

E. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after having fallen

Can anyone explain the meaning shift in a,b and c?
I believe that tense shift can only be correctly learned by understanding the meaning change.

Further, is adverbial phrase "during the first 3 month" has any impact on "tense"?
I believe it has.

I think that "adverbial phrases" for "time"(ie answering "when?") have an impact on the choice of tenses.
please correct me and my understanding.

also, explain meaning change if using "adverbial modifier" as in D and E?

even though i got this answer correct, i still don't understand the exact meaning change in all options.[spoiler]

Source: OG13 Q90
OA: C
[/spoiler]
Last edited by imskpwr on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:56 am
Please underline the question before posting it.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by imskpwr » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:28 am
GmatKiss wrote:Please underline the question before posting it.
I will surely do, but i think that choice A clearly shows the missed-out underlined portion.