Very Cool: this predicts your chances of getting accepted!

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I just came across this. Very popular on the law school forums is the excel spreadsheet that allows you to put your info into this template and it show you your chances of admission at top programs. It looks like the same company made one for mba's and it is in its beta form. you can check this out at mbapredictor.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Sheriff » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:27 am
WOW, nice! very scientific. Thanks for the link.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:750

by sunman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:24 am
I just looked at that. It's fun to play with, but just about worthless. MBA admissions are much more holistic than simple number crunching.

How do you judge your work experience from 0-5? Can you even assign it a numerical value? Furthermore, it doesn't take into account your essays, your cultural background or anything of the sort.

It tells me I have a 61% chance at Stanford GSB. Yeah, that figure would be more accurate if it said I had a 91% chance of getting dinged and a 9% chance of getting waitlisted.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by adpgh0128 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:31 am
Unfortunately I've used this tool a few times, and only discouraged myself. I don't know that you can really assign a number value to your educational institution or work experience. Each admissions office will have its own view of your record, and own rating of your experiences.

Also, judging by the comparisons it gives you based on your GPA and GMAT in relation to the schools listed, the tool itself is outdated. Most of the acceptance rates have not been updated, possibly since last year but maybe even earlier.

I wouldn't put too much stake in it.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by tariqal » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:08 pm
Sorry to be blunt, but not only is that a waste of your time, it may also dangerously implant baseless biases or deceptive preconceived notions into your head.

There's too much of a qualitative aspect of one's application that cannot be captured in a numerical grading system.

Until tools like this are proven to have a successful track record of assessing the quality of the different parts of applications, avoid it altogether.