Do B-schools consider individual sections scores?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Brent,

Can you please let me know if B schools consider the overall GMAT score on a scale of 800 or do they have section wise cut off( for quants and Verbal)

[Moderator alert: Moving it to a relevant forum]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:18 pm
vigu1986 wrote:Hi Brent,

Can you please let me know if B schools consider the overall GMAT score on a scale of 800 or do they have section wise cut off( for quants and Verbal)

[Moderator alert: Moving it to a relevant forum]
Hi Vigu,

Sorry for the delay; I was unaware that you had posed a question to me (someone just notified me via email).

Unfortunately, I'm not a good person to ask. My company focuses exclusively on preparing students for the GMAT. I don't know much about MBA admissions.

There are, however, many people on this site who can help. Try Stacy Blackman at: https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-stacy-blackman-f21.html

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:51 pm
When I was going through the admissions process I asked this question to adcom members at different schools. I didn't want to hear it from other applicants or consultancies. I preface with that to say that this is what I heard directly from three different schools. Each school is different and evaluates GMAT scores differently so again this is just what I heard from three different schools about a year and a half ago.

When we report avg. gmat scores on our website and to publications we report the total score in 1 sitting. When we're looking at a candidate for admissions we will take into consideration the different split scores in some instances, but in most cases it's never the deciding factor for admissions. Just helps us build a better case for the student if need be.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants