Help - Low CGPA score for GMAT

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Help - Low CGPA score for GMAT

by rakkey1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:50 pm
Hi,

I was registering an appointment for GMAT when I found that my percentage score of 54% in undergrad was equivalent to a CGPA score of 0.4. Since my graduation in 2006, I have a total work experience of over 3 years. I do not have much of extra curricular activities to show, however, I have been among the top performers during my 3 years experience. I am worried about how detrimental would this to my application to B-schools. Also, how can I work to show that I am still a good candidate for the course?

Request urgent help on this.

Thanks,
Vineet

by shaselai » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:09 am
are you sure it is 0.4 ? is this american university? I dont think it is possible to graduate with something like that? when you mentioned percentage (54%) maybe you did the calculation wrong?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:43 pm
Dear rakkey1,

It is unlikely that a 54% at an international university, where you were awarded a degree, is equivalent to a 0.4 in the US. The conversion between most international schools and the US 4.0 system is not that simple. I would guess you are probably more in the 2.3-2.8 range, but for an accurate conversion, it would be best to have your transcript evaluated by a professional credentialing service. You might also be able to find a good conversion table on some of the business school oriented websites.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by rakkey1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:17 am
Thanks Lisa for your help. However, the conversion in itself is causing me confusions. While registering an appointment at mba.com, I came across a section asking me for my GPA score and provided the following conversion chart:

Can you please help me under which bracket would I fall?

Your help is highly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Vineet