please advice

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

please advice

by qwerty01 » Tue May 06, 2008 4:49 am
Hi everyone, could you please evaluate my profile? Thank you in advance.

Italian / 28 / Male

WORK EXPERIENCE
Just promoted to credit risk associate
1.0 years - risk analyst
1.5 years - portfolio analyst

CFA L1 candidate June 2008
GMAT 700

EDUCATION
MSc in Econometrics (Full tuition scholarship – merit based)
BA & in Economics 1st class with honour

EXTRACURRICULAR
Volunteering with unprivileged children and disables (leadership position)
Fund raising for NGO

MISCELLANEOUS
Travelling – visited extensively 30+ countries
Sport – skiing, trekking, scuba diving, tennis, golf

POST MBA GOALS
Work in equity research for 5-8 years and then start my own company

1) My wish list is: Chicago, Kellogg, Stern, LBS. Any chances to get admitted to one of these programs? I’ll apply next Fall for class starting in 2009.

2) Any suggestion about second tier schools? I’m interested in a school with a solid academic program (mainly finance oriented) and also a strong sense of community. What about Tepper and McCombs?

Cheers, querty01

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Tue May 06, 2008 10:01 am
Hi Q,

Thanks for your post. You have good credentials and are a strong candidate for the programs listed below. But as you know - since the admissions process is not only dependent on your stats, but also your essays, LORs, interview - it is difficult to truly gauge your candidacy.

That said, you are on the right path!

A few things to think about -

1) Post-MBA career goals - Make sure your entrepreneurial interests are in line with your background / short-term goals. I am not sure how ER and staring a business are related - unless you are interested in doing something entrepreneurial within research and/or finance... or you want to start a venture in the sector you are covering.

2) 'Finance' candidate pool - Since your background is finance, you are in a highly competitive candidate pool. Make sure you differentiate yourself from the 'classic finance' candidate. Emphasize some of your interests outside of work which set you apart - as you have interesting EC activities.

3) Schools - UC/K/NYU are great schools for your interests in finance/ER. Also consider schools that have good Wall Street connections, but are not necessarily tradition finance-feeder schools. Schools that come to mind include Ross, Tuck, Duke, UCLA.

4) Timing - If you are committed to starting you MBA in 2009, apply in the first round - ESPECIALLY to your top choices.

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by qwerty01 » Tue May 06, 2008 11:57 pm
Hi Nikhil,
thank you for your quick response.

Yes, I'd like to set up my own equity research firm, I have been too coincise in my previous post.

Your other tips are really insightful. Thanks.

Best,
qwerty01

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Thu May 08, 2008 10:36 am
Hi Qwe...

Happy to help! With regards to your short and long-term post-MBA plans, make sure you craft a logical story of going from ER to an ER entrepreneurial venture.

Also emphasize the importance of the MBA at each milestone (i.e. how will the MBA help you in ER, how will help you start your venture).

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep