Financing an MBA with a family?

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Financing an MBA with a family?

by Woodencrawdad » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:22 am
Anyone out there done a full-time program with a family? I'm in the throws of studying for the GMAT but trying to figure out how in the world to make it work financially. It doesn't sound like federal loans are normally sufficient enough to cover both tuition and living expenses, health insurance, etc.

Any wisdom?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:36 pm
If this is something you are concerned about, I would strongly recommend considering part time. It will be cheaper for you and you won't put you family in a tough spot.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

by CalvinBrave » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:41 pm
Hello everybody,

The traditional Master's in Business Administration (MBA) degree tends to produce graduates who can function as basic middle to higher level managers with core business business skills and management perspectives. However, with recent emphasis on enterprise and network management, specialization has developed for added Master's studies in technology. This has created the option for a dual MBA in Finance and Technology for prospective students. Is it a good thing to do? That depends on your career goals.

Regards
Calvin Brave

Engineering Scholarships In India

by vinash » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:48 am
as you said above, i find that you should do it as distnace, because you can do part time job as well with this, and online education is also increasing very fastly....
www.ipsmeerut.com/mba.php | PhD Admission 2013| MPhil Admission 2013 | www.markyourcorp.in

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:18 pm
Financing it will be tough. I suggest trying to pay for as much you can from your own finances. Consider opening a 529 education savings account in your name to get yourself some tax free savings. Not sure how old your kids are, but can your wife work part time while you are in school, that can help with the day to day bills. Also, make sure you go to a school with a low cost of living. Skip NYU and check out schools like Michigan and UT Austin.