Duke (Fuqua) vs University of Texas (McCombs)

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I'm thrilled to be accepted to both Duke (Fuqua) and the University of Texas (McCombs) but I'm having trouble deciding where to go. My experience is in marketing and non-profit management (domestically and internationally). I am interested in non-profit leadership, marketing or international business positions post MBA. I'm from Texas so I would benefit from in-state tuition - very enticing & if I stay in the US then Texas would be my living preference after graduating; however, if Duke is a shiningly better program and fit than Texas then I would prefer to be there.

Here are a few of my questions (I welcome and appreciation any insightful feedback/advice):

How much stronger is Duke's program? Its rankings are typically higher than UTs but do people consider UT in the same ballpark or a step down?

How do the cultures compare? Will UT be more cut throat and less collaborative than Duke?

How strong is UT for the fields of social entrepreneurship, marketing and international business? Does it clearly fall short of Duke on any/all of these categories or is it comparable in any/all these categories?

If later I pursue a PhD on a track to be a professor how will an MBA from UT compare to Duke for university/research jobs in business education?

Any other feedback not directly pertaining to these questions is also appreciated.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by redicius » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:28 pm
Same problem here, any ideas?