Application Profile Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Application Profile Evaluation

by jmsheehan5 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:28 am
I just took the GMAT and was wondering if I could get some help evaluating my profile to see if I should retake the test in order to get a higher score.

Profile:
27 year old white male
3.2 GPA, B.A. in Economics, minor in Russian Language and Culture from a top 25 liberal arts school
NCAA Lacrosse Captain, awarded for leadership as a Senior
4 years as a Marine Corps Combat Arms (Artillery) Officer, regularly identified as a top performer
700 GMAT (7 IR/Q47/V40)

Schools I am interested in:
1. Harvard (obviously a reach)
2. London Business School
3. Tuck
4. Northwestern
5. Michigan
6. MIT
7. Texas
8. Georgetown

Thanks for the help!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:24 am
jmsheehan5 wrote:I just took the GMAT and was wondering if I could get some help evaluating my profile to see if I should retake the test in order to get a higher score.

Profile:
27 year old white male
3.2 GPA, B.A. in Economics, minor in Russian Language and Culture from a top 25 liberal arts school
NCAA Lacrosse Captain, awarded for leadership as a Senior
4 years as a Marine Corps Combat Arms (Artillery) Officer, regularly identified as a top performer
700 GMAT (7 IR/Q47/V40)

Schools I am interested in:
1. Harvard (obviously a reach)
2. London Business School
3. Tuck
4. Northwestern
5. Michigan
6. MIT
7. Texas
8. Georgetown

Thanks for the help!There are some things in your application that will really play out well- the varsity athlete, the military experience. And I could see HBS liking that- but the 3.2 is a little bit of a challenge. So getting the GMAT a bit higher really could help offset the GPA. Now any school should realize that having a 3.2 while being a varsity athlete is really pretty good- but the schools still have to report on the avg GPA so they will take a little hit there. I could see as is you would do really well at possibly LBS and Texas and Georgetown and that if you can just inch up the GMAT more your odds for HBS, Kellogg, MIT and Tuck and Ross get a lot better. I think you have the building blocks though of a great package and I think working with a consultant could be very helpful. To get a free consult and at least get some free advice and see the ranges of ways we could help you even more, look here: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/free-consult/
And also thanks for your service to our country!
[/b]