Michigan Ross MBA Deadlines and Essay Tips: 2022-23

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

Located in the heart of the vibrant city of Ann Arbor, Michigan Ross is "a top-ranked business school offering action-based learning to prepare our graduates for today's ever-evolving world." The leaders at Michigan Ross create "innovative solutions to the world's most complex business challenges."

Application Deadlines

Round 1

Application Deadline: September 19, 2022
Decision Announced: December 9, 2022

Round 2

Application Deadline: January 09, 2023
Decision Announced: March 17, 2023

Round 3

Application Deadline: April 03, 2023
Decision Announced: May 11, 2023

Essays

Ross has made two changes to the essays this year. First, it has introduced a new question as Part 2 wherein applicants will pick one thing from their resumes and explain it in 100 words. Further, the career goal question of the previous year has been broken down into two parts. In the first part, the applicants must spell out their short-term goal in 25 words, and in the second part, they will explain the rationale behind their short-term goal in 150 words. So, overall, this year's applicants will have 475 instead of 400 words to present their candidacy to the Ad Com.

Let us take a closer look at the essay questions:

Michigan Ross MBA application short-answer questions: Part 1

Select one prompt from each group of the two groups below. Respond to each selected prompt in 100 words or less. (<100 words each; 200 words total)

Group 1

I want people to know that I:
I made a difference when I:
I was aware that I was different when:

Group 2

I am out of my comfort zone when:
I was humbled when:
I was challenged when:

These short questions will provide the admissions team valuable insights into who you are as a person and how you view yourself. Therefore, answer it in a way that allows you to tell them what you want them to know about you. These questions require you to introspect and dig deeper for specific stories/ life experiences when you 'made a difference, ' when you were humbled', or 'when you were challenged.' Begin your response to each prompt by completing the question. Your answers to these questions will showcase your unique personal traits- your interests, the impact you made, your self-awareness (Group 1), your humility, and your experience of being out of your comfort zone (Group 2). Both groups ask for a behavioral response, where you discuss one anecdote or situation and reflect on it. The key to all these responses is to demonstrate how you responded in the face of different situations and emerged as a better and stronger person.

What makes these essays more challenging is the multiple-choice component. I can imagine applicants having difficulty deciding which was the best option for them or which stories would paint them in the best light. My advice is to brainstorm ideas on all six prompts and then evaluate the best two stories that resonate most with you and reflect the values you want the Ad Com to know about you. After you have finalized your best two stories, begin formulating your response, focusing on the challenges you faced, the action you took, and the impact you made. Don't forget to include your thought process behind your decisions, as your thoughts and actions will offer the reader a glimpse into your values and beliefs.

Your responses to these questions will allow the admission committee to learn more about your values and what you would add to the Michigan Ross community.

It is a challenge to discuss two different experiences in only 200 words. To meet the tight word limit, be as precise as you can.

Michigan Ross MBA application short-answer questions: Part 2

Pick one thing from your resume and tell us more. (100 words)

This is an exciting addition to the essay set that allows applicants to elaborate on an accomplishment they are proud of. The bullet points in the résumé didn't give you enough space to discuss your challenges while handling your most challenging project. Perhaps you resolved a complex conflict, went the extra mile to complete a challenging project on time, or completed it with insufficient information or resources. Maybe you led senior professionals who were more experienced than you or handled new hires whose learning curve was steeper than you imagined. Choose a bullet point and elaborate on it to highlight your leadership skills, teamwork skills, and the impact you made on your organization. Though 100 words is not a lot of space, it still allows you to provide additional information about an achievement you had merely touched upon in a bullet point in your resume.

Since the essay prompt doesn't specify "professional," you may also choose a non-work accomplishment where you made a massive difference in people's lives.

Part 3: Career Goal

This essay set focuses on short-term goals and your reasons for those goals.

What is your short-term goal? (25 words)

Outline your short-term goals specifying the industry, company, and position you are interested in after graduating from Ross. Given the limited space, make every word count.

Why is this the right short-term career goal for you? (150 words)

Even if you are not 100% sure, you should be clear and decisive about your short-term goals. Explain why this career goal is important to you by relating it to your past experience. Provide a brief account of your career history, summarizing your skills/ strengths, and explain which aspects of your work have inspired your career plans. Perhaps a particular challenge or an accomplishment piqued your interest in your short-term career goal.

You may also talk about the impact you see yourself making in that role. Though the question only asks about your short-term goal, you may still touch upon your long-term goals to help the reader better understand how your post-MBA role will prepare you for your long-term goal.

You do not want to discuss the 'Why Ross' part because the admission committee has not asked it. They don't want you to provide a 'laundry list' of the courses offered by Ross. However, be prepared to discuss 'Why Ross' during your interview.

With a total of only 475 words to tell your story to the Ross admission committee, you should make every word count. There is no room for lengthy details or beating around the bush. To present a well-rounded picture of your candidacy, use 200 words (Part 1) to demonstrate personal traits and 275 words (Parts 2 & 3) to showcase your professional skills and accomplishments.

Click herefor helpful tips to meet the stringent word limits.

Optional Statement: Is there something in your resume or application that could use some explanation? You might want to discuss the completion of supplemental coursework, employment gaps, academic issues, etc. Feel free to use bullet points where appropriate.

As directed in the essay prompt, you may use this essay question to address a weakness in your profile, such as employment gap, low GPA/low GMAT, completion of supplemental course work, or unusual choice of the recommender. Your weakness may also bring out a positive aspect of your personality. You may either use bullet points or an essay format for the optionalstatement.

Reapplicant process

Applicants can submit an abridged application. They will complete an application form, submit an updated resume, and update a letter about their achievements and goals since their original application. The updated letter should be uploaded via Essay 3 Optional Statement. If their previously submitted scores have expired, they will submit a new test score.

For more information about the reapplication process, click here.

For Short answer questions tips from Ross MBA Admissions Blog, Click here.

For more advice and tips on application essays, resume, and LORs, do not forget to check out the video from a few members of the Ross admission team.

You may be interested in MER's analysis of previous years' essay questions:

Ross Essay Questions Analysis- 2021-2022
Ross Essay Questions Analysis- 2020-2021
Ross Essay Questions Analysis- 2019-20
Ross Essay Questions Analysis- 2018-19
Ross Essay Questions Analysis-2017-18
Ross Essay Questions Analysis– 2016-17
Ross Essay Questions Analysis– 2015-16
Ross Essay Questions Analysis– 2013-14

Click here for a video interview of a former MER student and Ross grad Pablo Troncoso wherein he shares how the Ross MBA helped him switch careers.

Click here for a video interview a Ross admit, wherein she shares her application experience.

Free Resources

Overarching Essay Tips
MER Students Share their Success Stories
Essay Analysis of Other Top Programs-2022-23
Case Studies
15th AIGAC Conference -2022- The Changing Trends in Management Education – Key Takeaways

Since 2011, MER (myEssayReview) has helped many applicants get accepted into the top 20 MBA programs, including XXXXXXX (Poonam is one of the top 5 most reviewed consultants on the GMAT Club.)

Do you have questions about your application? E-mail Poonam at [email protected] or sign up here for a free consultation.

This blog was first published in myessayreview.
If you find my post helpful, please let me know by pushing the thank button.
myEssayReview- A personalized and dedicated essay review service
https://myessayreview.com/
Email:[email protected]