Help BEATTheGMAT! Advice on how to improve GMAT score from 700 to 750, OG ques. exhausted

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I took the test on 15th and scored 700. My test did not go smoothly as my test began after 2.5 hrs and I completed the test around 1 am.

I had an observation during the test. The test felt more difficult than what I had faced in the official mock tests (Test 1 - 6), and I am very sure of this observation. The DS questions were tougher than the ones on official mocks and on GmatClub quant tests. The RC passages were tougher than anything I had seen either on the mocks or on Gmatclub, and CR and SC were more complicated than the official mock questions.

These are my mock scores:
(These tests were taken in the last 3 weeks)
GMATPREP1 - 730 Q50 V38
GMATPREP2 - 750 Q51 V40
GMATPREP6 - 770 Q51 V42
PRINCETON - 750 Q51 V43
E-GMAT(PRACTICE TEST TAKEN 3 MONTHS AGO) - 700 Q49 V36

I discussed the same with my few other friends and they felt the same way. Hence putting it out there to a larger audience to confirm whether others feel the same way or is it a known thing?

Some background:
Target schools: Top 20 B-Schools in the US and top 5 in Canada
Work experience: 4yrs at Microsoft India
Undergrad school/major: Information Technology (Bachelor of Technology)
Race/nationality: Indian
GMAT: Male
GMAT Score: 700 Q49 V35 IR6
GRE Score: 328 Q169 V159 AWA 4.5
Undergrad GPA: 4

I am willing to take the test again but I have only a month's time for this. Hence my concerns are as follows:
1)How can I improve and be comfortable at the level of GMAT questions if I do not practice consistently at that level. Please let me know how I can do this?
2)My thinking is - a test series that is already difficult and comparable to GMAT test questions could be the solution. Can anyone suggest me some test series which is of the difficulty level on/above par with the actual test?

Thank you for your input.
Last edited by aaditya005 on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hie Aaditya!
regarding your query:
from your mocks score, i don't find any reason to not write Gmat again. since, you were averaging 750, and give or take +-30 points difference on actual exam, your score of 700 is actually less than your capability.
However, Gmat is a part of getting accepted in B school. if you feel you have a decent profile, for which you may need to consult with an expert/consultant, you may proceed with this score, 700 is a brilliant score right at 89%ile! Your splits are also good. Incase, if you do have a decent profile, i suggest to invest time and money on your Resume and essays.
Coming back to your query, well, i take it as you are done with your official guide and review book.
For RCs, you can refer to LSAT material, the passages are long and condensed, and so i believe it will give u enough practice and u can train your mind accordingly.
For Cr, you can refer to LSAT material, or u may go for Official questions in all previous editions of Official Gudies and Review Books, just fyi, there are around 900 CR questions and all that in OGs and Verbal reviews.
For Sc, as u mentioned u faced more complicated questions, i suggest you to go through Manhattan Scs and Gmat prep questions( GMAT Prep exam 1 and 2 have around 500 question in the pool ).
Also, there is room for improvement in your Quants, i suggest you to go through Official Guide and all Gmat prep under timed condition and review thoroughly concepts in which you feel weak. example: number system.

Regards
SIAK

Hi Everyone,
I took the test on 15th and scored 700. My test did not go smoothly as my test began after 2.5 hrs and I completed the test around 1 am.

I had an observation during the test. The test felt more difficult than what I had faced in the official mock tests (Test 1 - 6), and I am very sure of this observation. The DS questions were tougher than the ones on official mocks and on GmatClub quant tests. The RC passages were tougher than anything I had seen either on the mocks or on Gmatclub, and CR and SC were more complicated than the official mock questions.

These are my mock scores:
(These tests were taken in the last 3 weeks)
GMATPREP1 - 730 Q50 V38
GMATPREP2 - 750 Q51 V40
GMATPREP6 - 770 Q51 V42
PRINCETON - 750 Q51 V43
E-GMAT(PRACTICE TEST TAKEN 3 MONTHS AGO) - 700 Q49 V36

I discussed the same with my few other friends and they felt the same way. Hence putting it out there to a larger audience to confirm whether others feel the same way or is it a known thing?

Some background:
Target schools: Top 20 B-Schools in the US and top 5 in Canada
Work experience: 4yrs at Microsoft India
Undergrad school/major: Information Technology (Bachelor of Technology)
Race/nationality: Indian
GMAT: Male
GMAT Score: 700 Q49 V35 IR6
GRE Score: 328 Q169 V159 AWA 4.5
Undergrad GPA: 4

I am willing to take the test again but I have only a month's time for this. Hence my concerns are as follows:
1)How can I improve and be comfortable at the level of GMAT questions if I do not practice consistently at that level. Please let me know how I can do this?
2)My thinking is - a test series that is already difficult and comparable to GMAT test questions could be the solution. Can anyone suggest me some test series which is of the difficulty level on/above par with the actual test?

Thank you for your input.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members
HI aaditya005,

Did you end up retaking the GMAT? If so, how did things turn out?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage

Your academics are strong and would definitely help. If you can work on your leadership examples and build stories around them, they will be a major point in determining your candidacy.

In addition to that, I would also say focus on your breadth of experience and most importantly your career goals (short term and long term), how the course fits in it and how this particular college fits in.

You have a good chance of getting selected
To avail a free profile evaluation and assessment of your strengths and weaknesses, PM for details