Help on how to clear most GMAT in 10 days? :(

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I had given my GMAT a month back but could not get through it.. The deadline to get into the university I desire is January 31st and my GMAT is on the 27th.. I know it is impossible to get a 700 in 10 days but I can still put in efforts.. Can someone please help me out? If I practice intensively for the coming 10 days would that help anyway? Please suggest..

Hope to get positive replies!

Thanks![/b]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:23 am
Hi Sushmeet Bamrah,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) What is the next application deadline after January 31st for the School that you're interested in?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by kyuhunl » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:36 am
I don't really think you can do much in 10 days.. but personally, I think the best way is to take as many practice tests as possible. Make yourself familiar to the test structure and check where you get most of your wrong answers, etc.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

An article from DesiKadrayani.

by Jaykpatel21 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:25 pm
[color=]An article from DesiKadrayani. Might help some of the GMAT takers[/color]

General Strategy:
I spend exactly 10 days (on average arnd 5 hours study time/day) in preparing for the GMAT. The breakdown is pretty much like this:

Pre-day 1: Buy OG12, borrow GMAT books from school library (in this case Kaplan's Math and Verbal workbook, but I hardly use the Math workbook), getting to know basic info abt GMAT like the sections, time limits, target score etc...basically just do your homework to get to know GMAT

Day 1: Research on forums/sources on internet abt GMAT exam taking tips. Strategizing my study plan (I divide questions in OG12 into 9 practice sets -> see Material section above, and plan accordingly based on that) (2-3 hours)

Day 2: Review maths (basically just read the Math Review part from OG12, i still rmb most of my quant skills since i study engineering in my undergrad) + OG math practice set 1 (2 hours)

Day 3: Review verbal (i strongly recommend to read Appendix 1: Grammar Review of Kaplan's Verbal Workbook, i just review my grammar from there, comprehensive material in one place) + OG Verbal practice set 1 (4 hours)

Day 4: AWA review + practice AWA on some topics (from OG12) (4 hours)

Day 5: OG Practice Set 2, 3 (excluding AWA, timed) (5 hours)

Day 6: GMATPrep Software Practice Set 1 (Result: Q50/V34/700) -> realize i was not strong in verbal, so spend the next day doing only verbal. this test totally suitable to do AFTER you do a few basic material review and BEFORE intensive practice, to know where ur actual score is for the real test, +/- 50 points (5 hours)

Day 7: Verbal day : review grammar, do ALL practice set in Kaplan's Verbal Workbook (10 hours)

Day 8: OG verbal practice set 4,5 (verbal only, skip the math), OG full practice set 6 (timed) (7 hours)

Day 9: OG practice set 7,8 (7 hours)

Day 10: GMATPrep Software Practice Set 2 (Result: Q50/V38/730), OG practice set 9 (8 hours)

Tips:
1. Always do the practice in a timed environment whenever possible. In my case, for each practice set from OG (which consist of 25ps+20ds+15rc+15cr+15sc) I timed each section to be 75 mins, and check the result after i completed all parts (instead of checking the answers after each question)
2. Plan your study. Study smart, not hard
3. Rest well. You realize that each day I do a pretty intensive study....for each practice set, it took me around 3-4 hour for answering+checking questions...so i spent like on average around 8-10 hours/day to study, the rest is to eat and sleep, nothing else
4. Right mindset. Don't overstress yourself that you need to pass 700; the good thing abt GMAT is you can retake as many times you want. I've read people improve test scores significantly in 2nd attempt etc, so dont worry too much about your target, do the test free-of-pressure

Another thing is that you may want to skip OG practice set 1-4 altogether if you find them too easy....I was quite slow doing the first few practice set, but do not have enough time to review later practice sets (5-9)...actually its better to focus on the harder questions and revise them more than once.

Reviews about the books:
1. Kaplan's Verbal Workbook : the questions are on the easier side, but it provides good material for grammar. Great for review, but no need to spend much time solving the questions there

2. OG12: I've been reading in many forums that OG's questions are easy-medium difficulty.
For Quant: agree. Practice set 1-4 are easy level. Practice set 5-9 are medium difficulty. The questions I got on real GMAT is near the level of practice set 8-9 in 5 first qns, and it gets harder harder and harder :(((

For Verbal: OG actually has a really great verbal questions. On real GMAT, the first few questions I got is near the level of practice set 3-5, then it gets harder and harder....but I dont think it ever reach level 8-9. The questions on practice set 8-9 are much harder than on the real ones, so I guess that it should be on the hard level....., especially for the critical reasoning. (if u can answer most of qns right, by that i mean around >80% right, u should do well on the real one as well :)

Final Thoughts
1. Rather than going through many many books, focus on 1-3 books and be sure to master them. OG is a MUST!
2. It's VERY important to familiarize yourself with the CAT interface, so GMATPrep Software is a MUST too!
3. Rest and eat well. Sleep adequately before the exam and bring good snack to the exam center in case you're hungry
4. You are given an optional break between the sections, take it! Although you dont need to go toilet or something, just go out of the testing room, do some simple exercise to prepare your brain before continue on. Really effective to get 'fresh' again bfore your next section
5. Pray, and hope for the best

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
there have more tips and advice but 10 days is a very low time I suggest you will take your time and familiar with test type and learn your course and than do this at least 30 days required for this work. take it as a test, not as fun or entertainment.