Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Source: Official Guide

A framed picture is shown above. The frame, shown shaded, is 6 inches wide and forms a border of uniform width around the picture. What are the dimensions of the viewable portion of the picture?

1. The area of the shaded region is 24 square inches.
2. The frame is 8 inches tall.

The OA is C.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:35 am

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

BTGmoderatorLU wrote:Source: Official Guide

A framed picture is shown above. The frame, shown shaded, is 6 inches wide and forms a border of uniform width around the picture. What are the dimensions of the viewable portion of the picture?

The OA is C.
Say the uniform width of the frame = a inches and the height of the frame = X inches

Dimensions of the picture: Width = 6 - 2a and Height = X - 2a

We have to get the values of (6 - 2a) and (X - 2a).

Question rephrased: What's the value of a and X?

Let's take each statement one by one.

=> 2[6*a + (X - 2a)*a] = 24
6a + Xa - 2a^2 = 12
Can't get the value of a and X. Insufficient.

=> X = 8.

But, we don't have the value of a. Insufficient.

(1) and (2) together

Plugging-in the value of X = 8 in 6a + Xa - 2a^2 = 12, we get

6a + Xa - 2a^2 = 12 => 6a + 8a - 2a^2 = 12 => 14a - 2a^2 = 12 => a^2 - 7a + 6 = 0 => (a - 6)(a - 1) = 0 => a = 6 or 1.

a cannot be 6 because if it were 6, then there would be no border at all as the width itself = 6 inches.

=> a = 1

So, we have X = 8 and a = 1. Sufficient.

The correct answer: C

Hope this helps!

-Jay

Locations: Jayanagar | Dilsukhnagar | Himayatnagar | Visakhapatnam | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:12 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

BTGmoderatorLU wrote:Source: Official Guide

Statement 1:
Test one case that also satisfies Statement 2.

Case 1: The frame is 8 inches tall, with the result that the total area of the frame and picture combined = 6*8 = 48
Area of the picture = (total area) - (shaded region) = 48-24 = 24.
Implication:
The width of the frame is 1 inch, yielding for the picture a base of 4 and a height of 6.

Cases 2: The frame is MORE than 8 inches tall
Here, the area of the picture will be MORE than 24, with the result that the dimensions of the picture will NOT be 4 inches by 6 inches.

Since the dimensions of the picture can be different values. INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2:
Since the width of the frame is unknown, the area of the picture can be different values.
As a result, the dimensions of the picture can be different values.
INSUFFICENT.

Statements combined:
Only Case 1 satisfies both statements, with the result that the picture has a base of 4 and a height of 6.
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

BTGmoderatorLU wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:26 pm
Source: Official Guide

The OA is C.
Solution:

We need to determine the dimensions of the viewable portion of the picture. If we let y be the length of the frame and x be the width of the uniform border of the frame and A be the area of the viewable portion of the picture, we can create the equation:

A = (6 - 2x)(y - 2x)

Therefore, to determine the dimensions of the viewable portion of the picture, we either need to know the values of x and y or the value of A and y (so that we can determine the value of x).

Statement One Alone:

This does not allow us to determine the value of A, x, or y. Statement one alone is not sufficient.

Statement Two Alone:

This means y = 8. However, this does not allow us to determine the value of A or x. Statement two alone is not sufficient.

Statements One and Two Together:

Notice that A, the area of the viewable portion of the picture, is the difference between the overall area and the area of the frame (i.e., the shaded region). The overall area is 6 x 8 = 48 and since the area of the frame is 24, A = 48 - 24 = 24. Therefore, we rewrite the equation from our stem analysis:

24 = (6 - 2x)(8 - 2x)

We see that we can determine the value of x. Therefore, both statements together are sufficient.

(Note: since the equation is quadratic, there are two solutions to the equation, i.e., two values of x. However, only one value of x makes sense since it’s really a geometry problem, i.e., only that value of x will make the dimensions positive (the other value of x will make the dimensions negative, which is not possible).)

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage