Should I buy Manhattan Prep 5th or 6th edition?

Share feedback about this free GMAT prep guide
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

I am about to follow this guide, but I don't know if I should purchase the 5th or 6th edition.
Is there a significant difference? Are things missing in the 6th edition that I won't be able to catch up?
Or is it essentially the same just in different chapters.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue May 16, 2017 4:04 am
The 5th edition is a perfectly good resource, and it's the edition that is referenced throughout the 60-Day Study Guide.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by mariakaram26 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:41 am
Thanks.
Can I still use the 6th edition or will I be missing a lot of information?
I ask because I am having trouble finding a Fifth edition set in New condition.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue May 16, 2017 7:41 am
The 60-Day Guide doesn't reference the 6th edition of the MGMAT books (yet). In the meantime, however, many students have found it relatively easy to locate the relevant/corresponding chapters in the 6th edition.

Cheers,
Brent

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sat May 20, 2017 10:01 am
Manhattan Prep publishes new strategy guides every few years, to reflect ever-improving pedagogy. Any edition of our books would contain all of the content you need to study for the GMAT, as the content doesn't change (with the exception of IR, which was added in 2012, and which we've included since our 5th edition). We just like to update how we package / present / teach that content.

The biggest difference between our 5th and 6th editions is including specific chapters on strategy (Testing Cases, Working Backwards) in addition to embedding these strategies into the content-specific chapters. The content-specific chapters will be organized in much the same way as they were in the 5th ed. You certainly won't be missing any information - you'll just have additional chapters.

We no longer update our books with each new edition of the OG (we used to publish the OG question #s at the back of each guide), as GMAC will be publishing a new OG every year, and we publish new editions of our guides about every 3 years. So any edition of our books will fit any edition of the OG.

When in doubt, I would recommend buying the newest versions of each, unless you're following a Study Guide that references specific page numbers, etc. From what Brent said, I think you'll be fine using the 6th edition.

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

by Robingupta28 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:27 pm
I am new to Gmat, just want to know which is the better edition 5th or 6th. Also, Is both edition aligned with OG in terms of references to pages and questions ?

Thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:02 am
Robingupta28 wrote:I am new to Gmat, just want to know which is the better edition 5th or 6th. Also, Is both edition aligned with OG in terms of references to pages and questions ?

Thank you
Both editions are good. HOWEVER, the 60-day guide is aligned with the 5th edition (not the 6th edition)

Cheers,
Brent

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:04 am
Robingupta28 wrote:I am new to Gmat, just want to know which is the better edition 5th or 6th. Also, Is both edition aligned with OG in terms of references to pages and questions ?

Thank you
Hi Robingupta,

My earlier advice all still stands:
Manhattan Prep publishes new strategy guides every few years, to reflect ever-improving pedagogy. Any edition of our books would contain all of the content you need to study for the GMAT, as the content doesn't change (with the exception of IR, which was added in 2012, and which we've included since our 5th edition). We just like to update how we package / present / teach that content.

The biggest difference between our 5th and 6th editions is including specific chapters on strategy (Testing Cases, Working Backwards) in addition to embedding these strategies into the content-specific chapters. The content-specific chapters will be organized in much the same way as they were in the 5th ed. You certainly won't be missing any information - you'll just have additional chapters.

We no longer update our books with each new edition of the OG (we used to publish the OG question #s at the back of each guide), as GMAC will be publishing a new OG every year, and we publish new editions of our guides about every 3 years. So any edition of our books will fit any edition of the OG.

When in doubt, I would recommend buying the newest versions of each,
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

by hunterhunt » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:42 pm
is there anyone selling the 5th edition? i am looking to buy a secondhand one to save costs