There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

(A) generated through wind power now than it was
(B) generated through wind power now as it was
(C) generated through wind power now as was the case
(D) now generated through wind power as it was
(E) now generated through wind power than was the case

[spoiler]OA: Why exactly is B wrong???? In B doesn't the ellipsis funda apply in the below manner

There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now as it [energy] was [generated] in 1990

In green color I have highlighted ellipsis[/spoiler]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by gmat25 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:17 pm
"Comparisons" i believe this is the only topic in SC where i still struggle even after solving 2000 SC questions so far. To get a detailed answer of your query, follow the link.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/fos ... t2119.html

Comparisons question are really really the most painful questions.
Princeton Review CAT - 710(Q-51, V-37) --> silly mistakes screwed up my VERBAL

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:40 pm
gmat25 wrote:"Comparisons" i believe this is the only topic in SC where i still struggle even after solving 2000 SC questions so far. To get a detailed answer of your query, follow the link.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/fos ... t2119.html

Comparisons question are really really the most painful questions.
Hi gmat25,

Thanks for the link but I am still not able to understand I.e why can't we use ellipsis construction as I mentioned in my initial post for option B :-(

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:24 am
aspirant2011 wrote:There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

[spoiler]OA: Why exactly is B wrong???? In B doesn't the ellipsis funda apply in the below manner

There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now as it [energy] was [generated] in 1990

In A and E, ten times as much energy...than is not idiomatic. The correct idiom is ten times as much X as Y. Eliminate A and E.

In B and D, the use of it is incorrect. We can't say ten times as much energy is generated now as IT was in 1990 because we're talking about TWO DIFFERENT AMOUNTS: the amount generated now (ten times as much) and the amount generated in 1990. Eliminate B and D.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:30 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
aspirant2011 wrote:There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

In A and E, ten times as much energy...than is not idiomatic. The correct idiom is ten times as much X as Y. Eliminate A and E.

In B and D, the use of it is incorrect. We can't say ten times as much energy is generated now as IT was in 1990 because we're talking about TWO DIFFERENT AMOUNTS: the amount generated now (ten times as much) and the amount generated in 1990. Eliminate B and D.

The correct answer is C.
Hi Mitch,

Thanks a lot for your response. I still have a doubt regarding this

We can't say ten times as much energy is generated now as IT was in 1990 because we're talking about TWO DIFFERENT AMOUNTS: the amount generated now (ten times as much) and the amount generated in 1990.

I am confused on one thing i.e are we not meaning that energy generated now = 10 times energy generated in 1990 ????

Please clear my above doubt......

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:44 am
aspirant2011 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

The correct answer is C.
Hi Mitch,

We can't say ten times as much energy is generated now as IT was in 1990 because we're talking about TWO DIFFERENT AMOUNTS: the amount generated now (ten times as much) and the amount generated in 1990.

I am confused on one thing i.e are we not meaning that energy generated now = 10 times energy generated in 1990 ????

The problem is that it refers not to energy but to the AMOUNT of energy (more than ten times as much, the subject of the verb is generated):

...more than ten times as much energy...is generated now as it [more than ten times as much energy] was [generated] in 1990.

This comparison makes no sense.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:47 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
aspirant2011 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

The correct answer is C.
Hi Mitch,

The problem is that it refers not to energy but to more than ten times as much (the subject of the verb is generated):

...more than ten times as much...is generated now as it [more than ten times as much] was [generated] in 1990.

This comparison makes no sense.
Hi Mitch,

Got it, thanks a lot :-)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jp78 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:50 am
would it be correct, if we replace "it" with "that", since now "that" is unlike "it" not referring to the same amount of energy.

(B) generated through wind power now as it was .....

generated through wind power now as that was....

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Can anyone help to explain how to use "the case" in comparison?
Is it flexible to refer anything? Or does it have specific rules?