aircraft

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

aircraft

by jain2016 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:46 am
The newly launched aircraft engine providing a 50% reduction in noise, double-digit improvements in fuel efficiency and environmental emission has been hailed by the aviation industry.

A) The newly launched aircraft engine providing a 50% reduction in noise, double-digit improvements in fuel efficiency and environmental emission has

B) Providing a 50% reduction in noise, double-digit improvements in fuel efficiency and environmental emissions, the newly launched aircraft engine has

C) The newly launched aircraft engine provides a 50% reduction in noise and double-digit improvements in fuel efficiency and environmental emission has

D) The newly launched aircraft engine, which provides a 50% reduction in noise and double-digit improvements in fuel efficiency and environmental emission, has

E) Providing a 50% reduction in noise, the newly launched aircraft engine is also providing double-digit improvements in fuel efficiency and environmental emissions having

OAD

Hi Experts,

Please advise whats wrong in optionC

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:01 pm
In Option C there are two verbs - "provides" & "has" without any seperator such as AND, etc.

i.e. The newly launched aircraft engine "provides".........."has"

Either the clauses should be seperated by COMMA or should have one part acting as Modifier.

Option D fixes it perfectly.
R A H U L

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:25 am
jain2016 wrote:Please advise whats wrong in optionC
C: environmental emission has been hailed
This wording seems to convey that ENVIRONMENTAL EMISSION has been hailed.
The intended meaning is that the new ENGINE has been hailed.
Eliminate C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3