Best Practices for SC Error logs

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Best Practices for SC Error logs

by kdn508 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:48 pm
So I'm trying log my SC errors but this is a tricky task.

For each problem I try to capture, Primary Skill, Secondary Skill, Why, incorrect, and Action steps.

I typically solve SCs by eliminating wrong answers so in my Why, incorrect column I capture the reason why the answer I selected is flawed and in the skills column I try to come up with buckets like Parallelism or Subject-Verb.

With those buckets, I'm able to adjust my study focus on a particular type of SCs

What's everyones best practices?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:49 am
You bring up an important point - it can be harder to create an Error Log for SC than for other question type, because what constitutes a "mistake" is somewhat different. Really, most SC mistakes boil down to one of a few things:
1) Didn't read carefully and overlooked something in the sentence
2) Didn't know the rule being tested
3) Misapplied a rule

For my students, I have them record the following things:
1) rule that I missed
2) describe
3) signal that that rule was being tested - clue for how to recognize
4) other examples that test the rule in a similar way

For example:
1) parallelism
2) I messed up the parallelism - I chose "... from either the spotted sandstone or from the..." The "from" was wrong here - it's after the "or" but not the "either"
3) EITHER/OR - any time I see these, I need to match what comes directly after the first with what comes directly after the 2nd

4) [list other question #s here, or even copy and paste the full text of other EITHER/OR, BOTH/AND, etc]

Hope this helps!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education