In order to conserve the energy and heat

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

In order to conserve the energy and heat

by aditya8062 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:40 am
In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for isolated birds.

A)thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for
B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with
C)and they thereby reduce by 25 percent the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be with
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than

my doubt :i somehow feel that above sentence is a run on
i feel that in the initial clause "that" is missing and without that "that" the sentence is a run on

i feel that were the sentence as follows then the sentence wud have been oki

In order to conserve the energy and heat that they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups......

instructors kindly help

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:02 am
In a relative clause serving as an adjective, that is often omitted.

SC7 in the OG12:
The company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales it would in the past have conceded to rivals.
Here, that has been omitted from the relative clause in red, but its presence is understood.
The conveyed meaning is as follows:
The company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales THAT it would in the past have conceded to rivals.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:12 am
thanks a ton mitch

but plz tell me : i feel that the initial clause in the original sentence is a complete independent clause in itself

In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs

if it is really a complete independent clause then will it be oki to join two independent clause with comma ?
thanks and regards

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:23 am
aditya8062 wrote:thanks a ton mitch

but plz tell me : i feel that the initial clause in the original sentence is a complete independent clause in itself
In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups.

The portion in red serves not as an independent clause but as an ADVERB modifying the verb in the FOLLOWING independent clause.
WHY do male emperor penguins HUDDLE?
They huddle IN ORDER TO CONSERVE THE ENERGY AND HEAT THEY NEED TO SPEND THE ENTIRE WINTER SITTING MOTIONLESS.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Sharms » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:52 am
Guys, so what is the ans?
Is it E?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:640

by Ankur87 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:54 am
aditya8062 wrote:In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for isolated birds.

A)thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for
B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with
C)and they thereby reduce by 25 percent the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be with
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than

my doubt :i somehow feel that above sentence is a run on
i feel that in the initial clause "that" is missing and without that "that" the sentence is a run on

i feel that were the sentence as follows then the sentence wud have been oki

In order to conserve the energy and heat that they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups......

instructors kindly help
IMO : A
OA Please ?

GMAT Score:640

by Ankur87 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:55 am
I think D and E are incorrect because of the use of "which"..
here which referes to group not the whole clause.
Correct me if I am wrong

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:53 am
OA :A

Followed by:1 members

by aflaam » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:38 pm
Hello Mitch,
Can you please walk us through the errors in B?
Thank you
Have a cheerful weekend

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:670

by joealam1 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:16 am
GURUNY
Hey Mitch,

can you please go through the incorrect answers?

Thanks.

regards,
Joe

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:20 am
aditya8062 wrote:In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for isolated birds.

B: lower when compared with
Here, lower and compared are redundant.
The correct idiom is lower than.
Eliminate B.

C: the rate [that] they burn
Here, the word in brackets is omitted but implied.
The conveyed meaning is that the RATE is burned.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate C.

D and E: male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, which thereby reduces
Here, which reduces lacks a singular antecedent.
Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is A.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:670

by joealam1 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:32 am
On answer C don't u think there is an issue as well with: "as compared to what it would be with" it seemed to wordy to me, i didn't think about the "omitted that" that you mentioned, nice point!

Thanks a lot Mitch you're star mate!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Breeze17 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:29 pm
Hi Mitch,

Is "as compared to what it would be with" wrong is C?

Thanks!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:07 pm
Breeze17 wrote:Hi Mitch,

Is "as compared to what it would be with" wrong is C?

Thanks!
This line of reasoning is valid.
Only PARALLEL FORMS may be compared.

C: the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be
Here, the two phrases in red are not parallel.
Eliminate C.

An OA in GMATPrep:
CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay.
Here, the two phrases in blue are parallel.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:15 am
I wanted to discuss this question in the light of the idiom Compared to or Compared with.

I think both compared to/compared with is right in GMAT, but

X compared to/with Y. Here X and Y should show some sort of statistics, Right? Please shower some light.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)