GMAT 660, is it good enough to apply to top business school?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Indonesian, Male, 29
GMAT 660 (Q49 V32) IR 6; AWA: coming soon
Academics: Double Degree, Information System and Business Management from top reputable Indonesian University GPA: 3.58/4.00

Work Experience:

5 Years in Big 4, Financial Advisory Services. Have leading many projects. Involved in many internal project to create competitive advantages within my company.

Achievement:
Winner and Finalist of several business idea competitions (using self-made mobile application).
Got innovation award certification from a global company.

Certification:
PMP (Project Management Professional)

Would like apply
Columbia
Oxford
Cambridge
Sloan
NYU

Questions
Is my GMAT score and my profile good enough for these schools?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:12 pm
Hi Ralph,
The answer is... maybe. Top business schools will be attracted to many aspects of your profile: your GPA, your global perspective and brand-name work experience. They might overlook your unspectacular Q & V scores, but then again, they might not: it depends on the competition, and that leaves you vulnerable. At first glance, your profile is probably strong enough (I'd have a lot of questions about leadership and international exposure), but I'm sure that GMAT is below your abilities.
The MBA is such an important transition point in your life -- why apply with anything less than your absolute best? My advice would be to retake the GMAT, apply with something closer to the median for the schools you're targeting (~720 for the US schools, ~700 for the UK schools), and free up the adcom to look more at you, not at your numbers.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

answer

by Ralph1989 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:52 am
Margaret Strother wrote:Hi Ralph,
The answer is... maybe. Top business schools will be attracted to many aspects of your profile: your GPA, your global perspective and brand-name work experience. They might overlook your unspectacular Q & V scores, but then again, they might not: it depends on the competition, and that leaves you vulnerable. At first glance, your profile is probably strong enough (I'd have a lot of questions about leadership and international exposure), but I'm sure that GMAT is below your abilities.
The MBA is such an important transition point in your life -- why apply with anything less than your absolute best? My advice would be to retake the GMAT, apply with something closer to the median for the schools you're targeting (~720 for the US schools, ~700 for the UK schools), and free up the adcom to look more at you, not at your numbers.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Hi Margaret, thank you very much for your response.

I am considering to retake the GMAT. However, it might be too late for R1 (Columbia's early decision deadline is on 3 October 2018). Do you think I should wait for R2 instead?

Thank you