Profile Evaluation !!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation !!

by Abhijitam » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:02 pm
Hi ,
Can you please help me to Evaluate my profile and school fitment.

Nationality : Indian Male
Gmat : 730

Undergrad : Bachelor in Nautical science ,GPA -73%
work Experience after Undergrad : Worked in merchant navy(Navigating officer) for good 5 years- International experience , sailed across multiple countries, worked with people from different nationalities . Majority of the work ex is on chemical tankers shipping toxic chemicals across US and Europe .

Post-grad : PGDM from XLRI- Finance (among-st top B-schools in India ) Graduated in 2014 . (GPA- 6.0/8.0)

Post grad work Ex: Investments in Healthcare space (Hospitals, Pharma , Med-tech)
present role : Short stint with a Healthcare focused Private equity firm (Interned recently for 3 months), Financial modeling, Due Diligence of the target asset and assisting legal and Financial consultants in DD stage , Pre-closure and Post closure negotiations . Project coordinator for a 500 bed Hospital set up in Delhi- Launched successfully last year (Project Cost - USD 77 Mn)

Total Work ex - 7 Years

Extra- Curricular activities - Was a part of 3 member team who launched an education related App to help govt schools to streamline their course curricular and provide a focused and track able course content for their teachers. Was adopted by lot of schools offering coursework to underprivileged kids and was allowed by the Govt of west Bengal, India to do as a pilot for a district in the state funded schools.

Apart from above listed detail , I do have some extra curricular activities also to showcase but not that great .

Post MBA goal - Investment space in South Asia and South -east asia region.

Target school : Insead , London Business school .
Stretch - Harvard/ Wharton / Stanford but i am not sure how well i fit in HWS.

Please let me know or guide me is my profile competitive for the schools mentioned . should i look for other schools as well that are similar to Insead and London Business school .

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:21 am
Abhijitam wrote:Hi ,
Can you please help me to Evaluate my profile and school fitment.

Nationality : Indian Male
Gmat : 730

Undergrad : Bachelor in Nautical science ,GPA -73%
work Experience after Undergrad : Worked in merchant navy(Navigating officer) for good 5 years- International experience , sailed across multiple countries, worked with people from different nationalities . Majority of the work ex is on chemical tankers shipping toxic chemicals across US and Europe .

Post-grad : PGDM from XLRI- Finance (among-st top B-schools in India ) Graduated in 2014 . (GPA- 6.0/8.0)

Post grad work Ex: Investments in Healthcare space (Hospitals, Pharma , Med-tech)
present role : Short stint with a Healthcare focused Private equity firm (Interned recently for 3 months), Financial modeling, Due Diligence of the target asset and assisting legal and Financial consultants in DD stage , Pre-closure and Post closure negotiations . Project coordinator for a 500 bed Hospital set up in Delhi- Launched successfully last year (Project Cost - USD 77 Mn)

Total Work ex - 7 Years

Extra- Curricular activities - Was a part of 3 member team who launched an education related App to help govt schools to streamline their course curricular and provide a focused and track able course content for their teachers. Was adopted by lot of schools offering coursework to underprivileged kids and was allowed by the Govt of west Bengal, India to do as a pilot for a district in the state funded schools.

Apart from above listed detail , I do have some extra curricular activities also to showcase but not that great .

Post MBA goal - Investment space in South Asia and South -east asia region.

Target school : Insead , London Business school .
Stretch - Harvard/ Wharton / Stanford but i am not sure how well i fit in HWS.

Please let me know or guide me is my profile competitive for the schools mentioned . should i look for other schools as well that are similar to Insead and London Business school .

Thanks
All in all, I like your profile, your background is very diverse and interesting. Therefore, the thing that stands out here is really why you need another MBA, so would really want to hear some more about that. How will that, and the schools you have chosen help you get where you want to be, since the one you already have didn't?
Sometimes already having an MBA can be a hurdle, as I am sure you know.

Also, you might want to look into Asian schools due to your post-MBA goal. If you don't want to do that, you should be prepared to explain why you have chosen US/European schools over Asian schools to the ad com.

I would say the basics are there (since you are Indian and are going for the top schools, GMAT scores can always be better but I am not sure it is critical in your case) so it will really come down to how you present all your experience, both with regards to work and your extracurriculars. Remember to focus on measurable achievements that could impress the adcoms rather than titles and positions. And anything you think few other applicants will be able to mention should be highlighted to (merchant navy experience for example).

In general, I feel you have a chance but you really need to work hard to explaining the above in your applications in order to be admitted. And that can be tricker than it seems! So get to work on your applications as early as you can and don't be afraid of getting professional assistance if needed.
ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting
https://ARINGO.com/

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/
Or contact us today on: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

Highest acceptance rates in the industry! All statistics verified by Ernst & Young