LIKE TO PURSUE AN MBA AT 35.IS IT GOOD DECISION?NEED ADVICE.

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
HI,I am 35 year old female from India.I am having a family business in which i am holding the designation of HR AND ADMINISTRATION(managing 5_10 people.I am interested in pursuing MBA from U.S.I plan to take GMAT next year June (2017) and to apply for September.My details i have given below.I want to pursue MBA for change of career and its my long time passion, for which time is at my disposal now.

B.A:59%(MADRAS UNIVERSITY)
M.A:67%(NATIONAL UNIVERSITY)
WORK EXPERIENCE:6 YEARS.
MY QUERIES ARE:
WHAT SHOULD BE MY GMAT SCORE?
CHANCES OF ADMISSION IN TOP B SCHOOL?
POST MBA CAREER PROSPECTIVE?
WHICH SCHOOL I CAN APPLY?
PLEASE ADVICE ME, WHETHER THE TIME AND MONEY I AM INVESTING FOR PURSUING MBA IN TOP US SCHOOL IS WORTHY ENOUGH NOW?WILL IT HELP TO CHANGE MY CAREER AND BE A LAUNCHING PAD?IF SO WHAT AREA I NEED TO FOCUS TO SECURE MY PLACE IN TOP US B SCHOOLS?AND MY SCORE IN ARINGO MBA CHANCE CALCULATOR IS 58.83%.BASED ON YOUR ADVICE I WILL PROCEED? HELP ME! THANK YOU.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:43 am
kcs wrote:HI,I am 35 year old female from India.I am having a family business in which i am holding the designation of HR AND ADMINISTRATION(managing 5_10 people.I am interested in pursuing MBA from U.S.I plan to take GMAT next year June (2017) and to apply for September.My details i have given below.I want to pursue MBA for change of career and its my long time passion, for which time is at my disposal now.

B.A:59%(MADRAS UNIVERSITY)
M.A:67%(NATIONAL UNIVERSITY)
WORK EXPERIENCE:6 YEARS.
MY QUERIES ARE:
WHAT SHOULD BE MY GMAT SCORE?
CHANCES OF ADMISSION IN TOP B SCHOOL?
POST MBA CAREER PROSPECTIVE?
WHICH SCHOOL I CAN APPLY?
PLEASE ADVICE ME, WHETHER THE TIME AND MONEY I AM INVESTING FOR PURSUING MBA IN TOP US SCHOOL IS WORTHY ENOUGH NOW?WILL IT HELP TO CHANGE MY CAREER AND BE A LAUNCHING PAD?IF SO WHAT AREA I NEED TO FOCUS TO SECURE MY PLACE IN TOP US B SCHOOLS?AND MY SCORE IN ARINGO MBA CHANCE CALCULATOR IS 58.83%.BASED ON YOUR ADVICE I WILL PROCEED? HELP ME! THANK YOU.

Hi there,
In regards to your questions: 1) Your chances of admission in a top B school are extremely low at the moment, for several reasons. At your age, you should strongly consider going for an EMBA - executive MBA. You are well above the average age of an MBA student. It's not totally impossible for you to get into a program, but I would highly doubt you can reach a top program. However, nothing is to prevent you from applying to both kinds - a few EMBAs and a few MBA just to see.

The change in career is problematic, however - most EMBAs are there to gain necessary skills to climb the ladder in their current careers, or to expand their businesses if they come from a family business. So to apply as a career changer might not win you points.

In terms of career prospects, that would really depend on what career you were interested in. I suggest that your career goals include sticking with the experience you have in HR and administration - either securing a high level position in a global company, or perhaps founding your own HR company. You need a goal that incorporates past experience with future prospects.

You say you have 6 years of experience - however, what were you doing between the ages of 18 and 29? Assumedly 4 were spent in school, but that still leaves 7 years unaccounted for.

Good luck!

Joy

--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs