gmat strategy help

We invite all community contributors to share resources that are deemed to help students beat the GMAT. We've created individual threads to match the main topics, so please select the best fit for your content carefully.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

gmat strategy help

by krishhxa » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:50 am
Hi,

I have been getting a score of 19 in verbal. I have 27 days in hand. What should be done in the time period to improve my verbal score. Further i have practiced the og rc's in feb will doing them again be waste of time.
My verbal accuracy is as follows
sc easy medium 76% hard 48%
rc 48 percent hard rc's cant do end up guessing
cr 70 percent

Kindly guide how to improve.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:54 pm
The strong scores in CR suggest that you could score high in RC as well: what's your current strategy for tackling a passage? (For example, do you read it thoroughly, then find the answers that match your reading, or do you read it quickly and look for answers that seem to be within the scope of the piece?)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:13 pm
krishhxa wrote:Hi,

I have been getting a score of 19 in verbal. I have 27 days in hand. What should be done in the time period to improve my verbal score. Further i have practiced the og rc's in feb will doing them again be waste of time.
My verbal accuracy is as follows
sc easy medium 76% hard 48%
rc 48 percent hard rc's cant do end up guessing
cr 70 percent

Kindly guide how to improve.
Hi krishnaxa,

The best way to improve is to find out your weak points and then practice. Try to drill down deep:

SC: The questions test various concepts such as S-V agreement, modifiers, parallelism etc. Find out what troubles you.
CR: There might be certain types of questions that are troubling you. May be Assumption, may be conclusion, inference etc.
You need to find that out and then practice them
RC: This again can be drilled down into different types of questions and also different topics. See what questions and topics trouble you the most and then practice accordingly.

As an addition, start preparing an error log and keep a note of all the mistakes you made and the lessons you learnt from the problems. This will ensure you do not make the same mistake again.

Make sure you complete all of the OG and the Verbal review and if required, you can buy the Question pack1 from mba.com