I only have a month left and want to get a 720-730 from 630

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I am preparing for my GMAT exam which is scheduled on June 10. I took 2 MGMAT tests recently and improved from 590 (Q45,V27) to 630 (Q48,V29). I only have one month left and can spend 3-4 hours everyday (both weekday and weekends). I am bad at sentence correction and data sufficiency. I also want to improve in other areas. How should I do my GMATprep from now?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed May 10, 2017 10:13 am
Hi monkeydluffy,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, these 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (+/- a few points). Thus, your current 'ability level' is right around a 610 or so. While raising that to a 720+ is possible, the goal to do so in just a month's time is likely too difficult to be considered realistic. It will likely take at least another 2-3 months of consistent, guided study to consistently score at that level, so you might want to consider pushing back your Test Date.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) Did you take the FULL CAT each time (with the Essay and IR sections)?

Goals:
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by monkeydluffy » Thu May 11, 2017 12:06 am
Thank you [email protected] for replying me.
I started full-fledged GMATprep 15 days ago. My only material till the first exam was GMAT official guide. After understanding my ability and analyzing my weak areas I wrote the second one. There was a little improvement in Critical Reasoning and Comprehension type questions. I didn't talk with anyone who had experience with GMAT (only read online stories). I don't know how much I can improve in all the topics. I got only a 5 in IR section.

I finished my undergraduate studies last month only. I already got placed and planning to do MBA after couple of years. My area of interest is Business Analytics.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu May 11, 2017 4:20 am
monkeydluffy wrote:I am preparing for my GMAT exam which is scheduled on June 10. I took 2 MGMAT tests recently and improved from 590 (Q45,V27) to 630 (Q48,V29). I only have one month left and can spend 3-4 hours everyday (both weekday and weekends). I am bad at sentence correction and data sufficiency. I also want to improve in other areas. How should I do my GMATprep from now?
The timeframe is a little bit tight, but your study plan should include:

1) foundation-building material in problem areas. Whether that means good SC + Data Sufficiency books or some online modules, you want to make sure you have a well-crafted approach for every variety of question in these categories. Do some shopping to find material that suits your learning style.

2) Regular practice tests, preferably official ones. And don't just take them and do a light review. Thoroughly break them down. Make notes about your timing and your use of strategies. Even if you answer a question correctly, see if you can come up with alternative approaches. Boil down what you find into 3-4 concrete takeaways and keep coming back to these takeaways until they're second nature.

Keep us posted...
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu May 11, 2017 9:47 am
Hi monkeydluffy,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. Since you've put in just 15 days of study, it's not surprising that your 2 CAT scores are so similar - there's a LOT to learn, practice and master before you'll get to your goal score. At this point, it's important not to let your immediate timeline dictate your decisions. You're not going to be applying to Business School for at least a couple of years, so you shouldn't try to 'rush' through this part of the process. First, it's not likely to work. Second, it's not necessary.

To help solidify your thinking in all of this, I'm going to ask you a hypothetical question - if in a month's time you take the GMAT and score 660, what would you do then? Would you stop studying (with the idea that you would restart your studies later) or would you continue on with your studies until you hit 720?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]