GMAT first mock score 560. Q47 V21 IR3

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT first mock score 560. Q47 V21 IR3

by Vaibhav3005 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:15 am
I appeared for my first mock exam today from the official GMAT Prep Software without any prior preparation. I have the material from Manhattan and an online version of the Official GMAT Guide which I haven't touched yet. I do not have much idea about the exam as I've just started preparing but as I'm free from work right now, I can very well spend 6-8 hours daily. I need guidance as to how should I approach to score above 700. Also, I'm planning to appear for the exam somewhere in the next 2 months as I'll be burdened with work after that. Kindly guide me with a plan.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:28 am
Vaibhav3005 wrote:I appeared for my first mock exam today from the official GMAT Prep Software without any prior preparation. I have the material from Manhattan and an online version of the Official GMAT Guide which I haven't touched yet. I do not have much idea about the exam as I've just started preparing but as I'm free from work right now, I can very well spend 6-8 hours daily. I need guidance as to how should I approach to score above 700. Also, I'm planning to appear for the exam somewhere in the next 2 months as I'll be burdened with work after that. Kindly guide me with a plan.
That's a very solid starting point. There's no need to make preparation any more complicated than it needs to be. You'll want to work through a set of strategy books and tackle every question in the Official Guide. (Make sure you do these questions slowly and thoroughly. Dissect why every incorrect answer is wrong. Look for clues in the language about what makes certain answer choices both incorrect and tempting.)

Two important things to note. First, your quant is much stronger to start than your verbal, so you'll want to allocate your time accordingly. There's no magical ratio, but 2:1 in favor of verbal sounds about right to me. Second, there's a lot of evidence that studying too much can actually harm performance. So I wouldn't do 6-8 hours a day. A few shorter intense sessions will be more beneficial and less painful. (And consider changing rooms when you study. There's interesting research about how we retain more when we alter our study environment.) Just make sure you're consistent.

Last, you'll want to make sure you're taking regular practice exams throughout the process. Carefully note what is and isn't working and make notes to yourself about what areas require improvement. And have specific goals. (Roughly: 49+ on the Quant and 38+ on the verbal.)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:23 pm
Hi Vaibhav3005,

To start, a 560 is a solid initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). While raising a 560 to a 700+ is an achievable goal, many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. Thus, it's likely that you will need more time than you've allotted (even though you have the opportunity to study more per day than most Test Takers). To that last point, while you might be tempted to do lots of studying each day, you have to be careful not to 'burn out' - especially as you get closer to your Exam Date.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]