Stuck at Q50-How to move to Q51?

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Stuck at Q50-How to move to Q51?

by whatsinthename11 » Sat May 28, 2016 8:29 pm
I have taken the GMAT twice and scored Q50 on both occasions. I am desperate to move to Q51 as ive read that this might improve my overall score by 20 points.

Can the experts guide on how to do this? 2 options that I am confused about:
1. GMAT Club tests-These offer a plethora of tough questions.
2. eGMAT Math Scholarinium- New course? Will this help?

GMAT 1:
V 30
Q 50

GMAT 2:
V 33
Q 50

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sun May 29, 2016 5:43 am
Hi whatsinthename11.

First, if I have it right, within Q51, there is a bit of a range. I mean, Q51 scored with 36 questions right is not the same as Q51 scored with 34 questions right. So it may be that to get 20 more points by going from Q50 to Q51, you have to go from a lower end Q50 to a higher end Q51. I don't know that to be the case, but I suspect that it is.

Having said that, regarding, GMAT Club Tests, you can definitely learn from them and build some confidence from using them. The questions are so hard that they make the questions on the actual GMAT seem easy. Also, I found that when I used the GMAT Club tests I got much better at handling the pressure of quant. I had to just keep seeking to get right answers, even though sometimes my getting a high score seemed unlikely.

I don't know anything about the eGMAT Math Scholinarium.

Having said that, I can tell you this. If your quant score is not what you want it to be, there are aspects of quant that you could be better at handling. What you really need to do is to figure out what those aspects are and address them directly.

One way to do that is the following.

Go to https://bellcurves.com and set up a free practice account. In the quant portion of the question bank there are thousand of questions in dozens of categories. Go through those categories and figure out which ones you are not comfortable with, and then slowly and carefully do dozens of questions in each of those categories, seeking to achieve a hit rate above 80 - 85%. As you become more confident in finding answers to questions in your less strong categories, speed up. Some of the questions have issues, and the combinatorics explanations don't really make sense, but overall, if you can get say 82%+ of the questions right in every category in that bank, you are likely to score Q51.

You might be surprised by what you have to work on. In my case, exponents and fractions, relatively simple stuff, were giving me trouble, and some types of questions that I usually got right, such as overlapping sets, were taking too much time, because I had not worked on them much. Obviously, you can figure some of this out by going over your practice tests.

Also, improving overall accuracy can be a way to increase your quant score.

Meanwhile, another 5 points in verbal would drive your score up even more than one last point in quant. So maybe you should work on verbal. Even the upper 40's are not out of reach, even to not non native speakers of English. So maybe by changing the way you are training for verbal you could without too much trouble push your verbal score to a not so crazy upper 30's to lower 40's level.

Here are a couple of posts I wrote on increasing one's verbal score.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/help-verbal- ... tml#770848

https://www.beatthegmat.com/how-do-i-mas ... tml#762120
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun May 29, 2016 10:26 am
Hi whatisinthename11,

Raising your Quant Scaled Score 1 point is almost certainly not going to raise your overall score 20 points (it would likely raise it 10 points). With a 700/Q50, you already have an outstanding score (it's right around the 90th percentile overall), so there's some question as to why you want to retest. Assuming you're looking to raise your overall score by a considerable margin, you're going to have to find those missing points in the Verbal section.

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
2) When are you planning to apply?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Sun May 29, 2016 8:24 pm
whatsinthename11 wrote:I have taken the GMAT twice and scored Q50 on both occasions. I am desperate to move to Q51 as ive read that this might improve my overall score by 20 points.

Can the experts guide on how to do this? 2 options that I am confused about:
1. GMAT Club tests-These offer a plethora of tough questions.
2. eGMAT Math Scholarinium- New course? Will this help?

GMAT 1:
V 30
Q 50

GMAT 2:
V 33
Q 50
Frankly speaking, if I were you i would not waste my time in thinking how to improve from Q50 to Q51.
There is very little that separates the two.

What I would be thinking is how to raise my Verbal score from V33.
With a V33, you do not even have a 70th percentile on Verbal and this might, might not bode well for your application at certain schools.

If you can increase your Verbal score to the 40s, you can get a much higher score jump that what you will get in increasing your score from 50 to 51.
You can post back here if you need help increasing your Verbal score.

I hope I make some sense.