Advice - tried everything but can't improve quant score

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

I'm writing to seek advice for quant studying. After taking a prep course three times (Veritas Prep) and also getting a private tutor for a few hours to focus on quant, I can't seem to improve my quant score on the actual test. The first time I took it I got in the 36 percentile and just this past Saturday I got the same quant score.

Besides taking the classes and tutoring, for self-study I take practice quant tests and work from the OG for quant.

It seems like my primary area of weakness is data sufficiency.

I noticed on the actual test, I didn't get a lot of advanced topics that I had studied for, such as geometry, permutations, etc. It was mostly basic math concepts that I suspect I never hammered down in school.

I've spent definitely over 100 hours studying so not sure the best way to improve my score at this point.

Any advice would be appreciated!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:50 pm
Hi roxleslie,

I'd like to know a bit more about your studies and your Official GMAT Score(s):

1) How long have you studied?
2) Have you used any other resources besides the class you mentioned?

3) When did you take each of your Official GMATs?
4) How did you score on each of your Official GMATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
5) What is your goal score?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:38 pm
A few questions come to mind here.

First, I am wondering what your verbal scores look like. Some of the skills used to get right answers to quant questions are similar to those used to get right answers to verbal questions. So I would like this detail as a clue to what's going on.

Secondly, you mentioned your scores "on the actual test." I am not sure whether you mean that you score higher on practice tests or that you get practice questions right or what.

Finally, you talk about doing practice questions. When you do those questions, do you do them on a timed basis or an untimed basis. Some people do most of their practicing on a timed basis, and so they never really develop the skills necessary for finding right answers, because they constantly interrupt their work and end up going to explanations rather than working all the way to answers.

Whatever the case may be, one thing is for sure. You can figure out how to increase that score.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by roxleslie » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:55 am
Hi Marty and Rich,

Thanks for your responses.

My verbal score is actually in the 89%.

I sat for the GMAT twice. The first time in May I got a 600 overall - 36% quant, 84% verbal, 6 on the essay, 5 on integrated reasoning. The second time, a week ago, I got a 620, 35% quant, 89% verbal, 6 on IR (which surprised me).

I started studying in January, took the first test in May, took June off, then resumed studying for the August 29 test date. On average, studying 5 days a week for 2 hours at a time. Resources - Veritas Prep, the Official Guide for Quant, Beat the GMAT Practice questions.

Practice questions - mostly untimed, sometimes timed.

My goal score is a 700 but I would be happy with high 600's as well. I wanted to apply round 1 this year but I need to get my GMAT score up first (my target schools are the best in Europe - INSEAD and London Business School which each have an average GMAT of 700).

I am frustrated since I have put a lot of time in and spent $2500 so far with Veritas to no result.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:45 pm
Hi roxleslie,

Earlier, I asked about the Scaled Scores (those are the numbers from 1-51 for the Quant and Verbal sections; NOT the percentiles), but your percentiles and overall scores are enough to properly define your situation. I understand how frustrating all of this might be; your two GMAT scores are close enough that they prove that you continue to 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT in the same way that you did before (which is why your scores are so similar). To earn that higher score than you're after, you're going to have to make some serious adjustments to how you handle the Quant section - which will mean learning (and continually practicing) new tactics.

Thankfully, the GMAT Quant section is remarkably predictable, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Since you've been studying for some time, you've likely developed a number of 'bad habits' though and that might take some time to get you out of. All things being equal, I think that you could probably retest in 1-2 months and hit your goals.

Have you scheduled your next appointment yet?
If necessary, can you push your applications back to Round 2?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]