"when" in relative clauses

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

"when" in relative clauses

by rohitchayal » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:56 am
"when" functioning as a relative pronoun in a relative clause can only take the subject of the sentence?
like in this example
Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs

here when cannot refer to mice, because it's not the subject, I heard that in a manhattan video but "that" can remove the ambiguity, why is that?
both "that" and "when" are relative pronouns and both are attached to "in mice" then why is it that "that" can refer to mice but not "when"?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by rishab0507 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:17 pm
Just read the sentence carefully and check what can be the subject, You are referring it closest noun MICE, but what about far away noun " Brain ",
include the brain growing in mice when placed

Now ask yourself what is placed Brain or Mice : Can you clear that doubt, No, Ambiguity is there that it can refer to both. Is mice placed or Brain placed ?
When replaced by that, which refer to immediate Noun, we make confusions clear " that refer to Mice " and its not brain that is placed somewhere, its mice that is placed.

Hope i am able to solve to small extent your Doubt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Giving thanks is a good to Thank

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Re: "when" in relative clauses

by Oktava » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:41 am
I heard that in a manhattan video but "that" can remove.