SC question from 2016 verbal review

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

SC question from 2016 verbal review

by fay » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:02 pm
After weeks of uncertainty about the course the country would pursue to stabilize its troubled economy, officials reached a revised agreement with the International Monetary Fund, pledging the enforcement of substantially greater budget discipline as that which was originally promised and to keep inflation below ten percent.
A.the enforcement of substantially greater budget discipline as that which was originally promised and to keep inflation below ten percent
B.the enforcement of substantially greater budget discipline than originally promised and keeping inflation below the ten percent figure
C.to enforce substantially greater budget discipline than originally promised and to keep inflation below ten percent
D.to enforce substantially greater budget discipline than that which was originally promised and keeping inflation less than the ten percent figure
E.to enforce substantially greater budget discipline as that which was originally promised and to keep inflation less than ten percent
The answer is C, I'm wondering why B is wrong, could anyone help me?

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:41 pm
fay wrote:The answer is C, I'm wondering why B is wrong, could anyone help me?
I am just going to hack this one, as if I were seeing it on the test and were to have to decide between B and C.

Look at this part, officials reach a revised agreement ... , pledging ...

What were they pledging?

Look at B.

They were pledging the enforcement ... Maybe that works, but it sounds as if they were pledging enforcement, and that does not really make sense. Pledging here basically means promising. So this version sentence conveys that they were promising the enforcement of greater budget discipline.

Also, the use of the word the does not make sense. There is only one enforcement of greater budget discipline? That's what the use of the seems to convey, because in this case the restricts, similarly to how it restricts in this sentence.

I read the books that were the shelf. the restricts the books being discussed to only the set of books that were on the shelf.

They were pledging keeping ... That does not work. Once again, it's like they were promising keeping ...

Now look at this simplified version of the sentence created using C.

Officials reached an agreement with the International Monetary Fund, pledging to enforce greater budget discipline and to keep inflation below ten percent.

Perfect.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.