Struggling to improve my Verbal scores

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Struggling to improve my Verbal scores

by mdhagat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:33 pm
Hi all,

I've been preparing for GMAT for 2 months now and I've not seen my Verbal scores improve at all. I'm struggling with SC and CR primarily. Recently, I gave my Kaplan Test CAT and found my scores to be insanely lower than I expected with Q44 and V19.

Which resources do you suggest, are the best for Verbal Prep? I need to improve my scores soon as the deadlines are getting close.

Thanks,
Mohit

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:54 pm
Hi Mohit,

Was this practice CAT your first practice CAT? If so, then you should know that most Test Takers "screw up" their first 2-3 practice CATs - it's part of learning how to properly take a FULL-Length CAT.

Also, I'm hoping that you can answer a few questions:
1) What materials have you been using to study with?
2) What is your goal score?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) When is your Test Date?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by mdhagat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:47 pm
Hi Rich,

Thanks very much for getting back. This was indeed my second practice CAT, but irrespective, I have always been failing to improve on my verbal skills even when I'm solving practice problems.

Here are my answers below.

1. I'm using Kaplan's GMAT and GMAC's Official Guide for my preparation.
2. I'm aiming for a 700 or above.
3. I'm applying in Round 2, so, around last week of Dec.
4. My test date' is on Oct 31.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:03 pm
Hi mdhagat,

With a V19, there might be some problems with any of the following: content knowledge, tactics, note-taking, and pacing. So I have a few more questions:

1) How well do you know the grammar rules that the GMAT will test you on? Can you name the rules, give examples, etc?
2) When you answer an SC, are you essentially just picking an answer that "sounds good?'
3) What type of note-taking, if any, do you do when dealing with RC and CR prompts?
4) In CR and RC, after reading the prompt, do you normally just "run to the answers" and try to find the one that sounds best?
5) Do you have pacing problems in the Verbal section? Do you run out of time and have to guess on questions just to finish on time. Have you ever left questions unanswered?

Rich

by mdhagat » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:20 pm
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply. Here are my answers below:

1. My grammar knowledge is fairly good with the knowledge of most rules.
2. At times yes, I do. Approximately 40 to 50% of the time. This is because, I sometimes struggle to identify what's wrong in the sentence and then I run out of time.
3. I don't take many notes while I'm on the verbal section, I follow Kaplan's strategies to find evidence, conclusion and assumptions for most CR questions and to find keywords while reading RC passages. Although, I do struggle with this strategy and land up consuming a lot of time in CR questions.
4. I usually try to predict the solution first, but if I don't get to one quicker I land up running through the answers to find the best solution.
5. Yes, I do end of spending a lot of my time with CR and SC questions. My RC is fairly okay, I struggle with some inference questions at times, though. On an average I have to guess last 2-3 questions. I have never left any question unanswered.

Also, I have noticed, I have written 2 CATS now, both times my Question 1 to Question 8 are always wrong, and the next 5 -6 questions are correct. Does this ruin my score too? How do I improve this?

Is there a resource I can refer to, to aim for another strategy that might suit me and help me pace through this section? I'm wary of time and not sure if I can grasp everything in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Mohit

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:10 pm
Hi Mohit,

With your goal (700+), you'll need to make improvements to both your Quant and Verbal Scores. Obviously, you'll need to spend more time and effort working on your Verbal sills. Since your goal requires such a large score improvement, and those types of improvements usually take a lot of time, is it possible for you to push back your Test Date? Since you're planning for Round 2, you have some room in your schedule (and the extra study time could make a big difference in your overall performance).

After 2 months of study and a V19, however you have been studying has not helped you handle the Verbal section. I think that you're going to need some new resources and some consistent, professional guidance to help you improve. This will require you to invest in some new resources and learn some new ways to "see" the Verbal section.

On a Computer-Adaptive Test (such as your CATs or the Official GMAT), it's important to start a section off "strong" - missing the first 8 questions would definitely hurt your score (and would keep you from getting a 700+). This is a detail that you'll have to keep an eye on as you continue to practice.

Rich