GMAT 740. Low Work-Ex. National level football player

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
10th: 86%

12th: 83.4%

GRADUATION
B.Tech. in Computer Science from IP University, Delhi with an aggregate score of 72.6% (First Class)

GMAT: 740

WORK-EX:
Working with Samvardhana Motherson Group (SMG) (World's 5th largest group) for past 2 years as a Software Engineer. Involved in different roles for 2 years. Was a JAVA developer for the first 12 months and worked on a project related to automobile industry wherein we tracked all the activities of major automobile players (like Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen etc.) and their manufacturing plants. In this project I proposed a module which involved scanning of invoices, of which I proposed the algorithm, to potentially reduce the effort at customer's side. This brought a business of 60.2 Million INR to organization. Received Star Performer of the Year award for the initiative taken.
In lieu to this initiative taken, after 1 year in the organization, I was shifted to Business Intelligence Team to use the critical data like revenue; budget etc. of the organization to track down the lacuna's to suggest possible changes to be made for organization's benefit. Working under this team, I proposed the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) which shall mitigate the re-work done in few teams in the organization. Upon review it was implemented in the organization. I inked down the proposed SDLC and got it converted in form of a research paper, published in a prestigious journal.

Total Work-Ex at the time of ISB 2016-17 application will be 2 years 8 months.

OVERSEAS EXPERIENCE
Went with project leader and other team members for installation and demo of the project to the client for duration of 3 months in Hungry during my tenure as a JAVA developer in initial 12 months

ENTREPRENEURSHIP EXPERIENCE
In last year of under-graduation, founded a tech company along with 2 friends, to develop websites and applications ranging from android to ecommerce website. The company is registered in the name of www[dot]crebertech[dot]com. The company generated a revenue around INR 1 lakh. Currently serving as the business head in the startup.

EXTRA-CURRICULAR
I have categorized extra-curricular into following categories.
Scholastic Achievements:
"¢ Have 5 research papers being the 1st author published in prestigious journals with a high impact factor. For one of the research paper published, was selected as a reviewer at the same journal (Science Alert) where mostly doctorate and post-doctorate professors are selected.
"¢ Was selected to represent my school in a competition of Mathematics and English conducted by University of New South Wales.
"¢ Winner of 3 state awards in technical events conducted at Delhi College of Engineering (DCE). Runner-Up in 4 technical events conducted at Delhi College of Engineering.
Dramatics
"¢ Winner in 1 competition and runner up in other organized in IGIT.
"¢ Played Football at National Level. Represented Delhi and scored a hat trick and helped team to reach semi-finals. Was also adjudicated Man-of-the-tournament by sports head of IIT during an intra-college football tournament in my college.
"¢ Organized literary events during college fests in the year 2011-2012-2013. Recoded higher participation with each successive year.
Debating and Literacy
"¢ Winner of 3 State level debate competitions organized at Delhi College of Engineering.
"¢ Winner of 3 State level extempore competitions organized at Delhi College of Engineering.
"¢ Winner of 3 State level essay competitions organized at Delhi College of Engineering and 1 essay event organized in my college.
"¢ Contributed to college and school magazines and remained an active blooger in my organization monthly newsletter.
Social Initiative
"¢ Involved with an NGO for past 3 years. Working as a treasurer now. During my time I organized events to raise fund for the NGO and used the same money to prevent cow smuggling and prevent slaughtering of cows in the small villages of Haryana.
"¢ A short 3 months internship at AIESEC under the program Iccha, to help slum children identify the basic cause of malaise. Helped them identify major pollutants and areas acting as a breeding ground of mosquitoes. Drafted a survey on the area visited and was adopted as a blue print by the local residents to palliate the waste.
"¢ Worked for 5 months at Children Home, Delhi Government foster home to orphan kids. Provided pedagogy to students and was involved in various teaching drives organized at foster home during those 5 moths.
"¢ Active member of CSR committee of my organization. Awarded for an active role in donation and social drives.

My target schools are Yale, Booth, Ross, Anderson, Tuck, Stern, Hass, Insead, Kellogg, ISB, Stanford GSB, LBS, Tepper and Johnson. Is it too ambitious or can I count some of them as moderate ? if yes, which one ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon May 11, 2015 12:46 pm
<<Cross post from another forum>>

Hey there,

Thanks for the post! LOVE all the detail. All in, you've got a pretty solid profile. Great GMAT, good academics (not loving the school but that's ok), difficult major, extensive involvement, impact and scope at work, large company, consistent performance. I could go on, but you've got a lot of the basics really covered here. I think you could put forward a really strong application for ISB. So I guess a question for you is is there something specific you wanted to talk about such as what you could do in the next year, etc.? Because from a profile evaluation perspective, you're doing pretty darn well here my friend!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by vipulaggarwal » Mon May 11, 2015 7:50 pm
I want to categorize my schools under ambitious, moderate and safe. So that I can select 2 schools from each category. As preparing essays for 10-12 schools will be unmanageable. Any help would be really appreciated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed May 13, 2015 7:58 am
Gotcha - ok, what I'm about to say is influenced by a rather important point. You are SUPER young. You have less than 2 years of experience at the time of application. Even for schools that prefer younger applicants, that's a bit young for them. So if you apply this year, you'll have to knock the schools you can target down a bit. The fact of that matter is, experience is more than just a number, it also provides the cornerstone experiences you need to really stand out in a difficult applicant pool.

If you apply next year or so, I think the top 20 / 25 is where you could play and be fine. Anything south of 17/18 would be a bit safer for you but not a slam dunk. The 8 - 17 range is probably where you're more aligned but they're still going to stretch you a bit. Above 8, pick 1 or 2 but pick realistic stretch programs. GSB probably isn't going to happen. Now, if you feel passionate about it, by all means, go for it, but there's an opportunity cost to applying.

If you apply this year, like I said, the whole range shifts down 5 - 7. Now we're talking about the 7 - 13 or so being stretch programs and so on and so on. See the impact? Thoughts?

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by vipulaggarwal » Wed May 13, 2015 7:43 pm
Point made! And duly noted.

To correct one information. At the time of application I will have exact work-ex of 2 years and 2 months. I realize that work experience is on the lower side. For the same reason I need advice to short list 5-6 colleges for which I should start with essays.

My list is currently containing. 2 ambitious schools in the range 1-10. 3 moderate schools in the range 10-25. And 2 safe schools in the range 25-36.

Is it realistic or the list needs to shifted down by another 10 point range ?[/img]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu May 14, 2015 7:49 am
A better question is do you WANT to shift another 10 points in the rankings?

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by vipulaggarwal » Thu May 14, 2015 9:40 pm
I can afford loose another 5-6 points in the rankings provided the ranking of the college does not fall below 30-35 in rankings. So what is your take after looking at the profile and suggesting me the safe, moderate and ambitious schools for 2016 ? Any more inputs will be highly appreciated.
Also, would like to get in touch in person with you over phone or skype, if it is okay with you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri May 15, 2015 7:37 am
Of course - free consultations are our specialty :). [Sign up here!]

Chat soon,

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by vipulaggarwal » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:34 am
Thanks for your valuable inputs. I really appreciate you scanning through my profile to provide the feedback.

I have shortlisted

HKUST Business School
Duke University: Fuqua
Ceibs
Esade Business School
University of Michigan: Ross
University of Virginia: Darden
Carnegie Mellon: Tepper
Indian School of Business
Emory University: Goizueta

What are your inputs on the above universities ? Do you think top 3 are ambitious, next 4 are moderate and last 3 are safe ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:08 am
Hey there,

I think, generally, that list is good! I think you might be over-inflating the rank of Duke a bit but that's fine. Also, kind of random list at the moment? Or it seems that way at least.

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by vipulaggarwal » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:58 pm
Hi CriticalSquareMBA. Yeah. For now. I am looking and planning on freezing the list by this month end so as to decide on how and in which round to apply to which school. Also, start preparing essays for them.
Can you throw in some schools looking and based on my profile above. Or at least guide me in finalizing the list.

Any more inputs shall be highly appreciated.