Profile evaluation: GMAT 700 + 6 years work ex + IIT

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello, a little background about me. I started with GMAT preparation very late (january), but was very confident of 730-740 score as I scored the same in all of the GMATPrep exams. Performance pressure kicked in and I scored below my expectations (700) in the real exam. Since then, I have been thinking to retake the exam, but many of my friends (already in b-schools) told me not to retake GMAT, rather focus on the applications and essays.

Well, I am aware that I am late for most of the b-school applications, but I still want to give it a try. I am targeting top European b-schools (HEC, INSEAD, IESE, IE, Said Oxford and Cambridge) most of which have initial rounds in late March-April. A brief about my profile - 6 years of work experience in international Telecom giant as Project Lead (experience in Project Management and Agile), Team Lead and Developer. Graduated from IIT Kharagpur with B.Tech in Electrical Engineering (CGPA - 7.3). Held few positions of responsibilities/leadership at IIT and my current company.

So, do you think I stand a chance in the schools I mentioned above (I am not confident about INSEAD)? Which schools I should consider? What should I focus more on? Should I even consider retaking the exam?
What is the best way to approach essays?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:18 am
Hi there,

First off - I am so sorry for the delay in getting back to you! Ok, to not waste what time you have left, let's get to your post.

If you're planning on applying this spring, then you really don't have much time to retake that GMAT. Now, that said, if you are planning on retaking WITHOUT additional prep, then I think you should. It can't hurt and the opp cost is low. If you need to study, then maybe focus on other parts of your application. Just know, with that GMAT score, the schools you've listed are going to be stretches. As an Indian applicant with an uninspiring background (but great undergrad!), you're not exactly unique AND you're applying in a later round.

Here's what I think you SHOULD do. You're a bit on the older side, yes, but you're applying to European schools so they're fine with that. So wait until R1 and retake the GMAT in the meantime. I think applying this spring isn't going to give you the results you're looking for.

If you have any questions - let me know!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!