GMAT Practice Tests Question

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Practice Tests Question

by priyanka.x.juneja » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:29 am
Hi all! I plan to start taking practice tests on a weekly basis starting next weekend (a total of 8 tests before my exam date). I will be using Manhattan Prep CATs, the two given by GMAT prep, and the two that can be purchased via exam pack. My question is, does it matter which order I take these in? I've heard that the Manhattan Prep CATs are harder...is there some strategy in saving them till closer to exam date? Should I alternate with the GMAT prep tests? Just curious if this matters at all! Thanks in advance :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:54 pm
Hi Priyanka,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:14 pm
priyanka.x.juneja wrote:Hi all! I plan to start taking practice tests on a weekly basis starting next weekend (a total of 8 tests before my exam date). I will be using Manhattan Prep CATs, the two given by GMAT prep, and the two that can be purchased via exam pack. My question is, does it matter which order I take these in? I've heard that the Manhattan Prep CATs are harder...is there some strategy in saving them till closer to exam date? Should I alternate with the GMAT prep tests? Just curious if this matters at all! Thanks in advance :)
You should take the Mprep CATs first. The GMATPrep CATs do not allow you to track metrics (% right and wrong, accuracy by topic and question type). Our practice tests do, so it will be much more helpful in the beginning to assess your strengths and weaknesses. GMATPrep CATs also do not tell you your time spent per problem, nor do they give you answer explanations. For all these reasons, it's much better to use ours (or that of any leading prep company) when you're starting out. Then, switch over to GMATPrep CATs for the last 1-2 exams before the real thing.

Many people (including me) think that Mprep CATs are slightly more difficult than the real test, especially on the quant. In general, it's likely that students will get 10-20 pts higher on the real test than on ours (assuming that anxiety / timing / other issues are not a factor). Another reason to take these first, because then the official ones will feel better by comparison, and you'll go into the real test with more confidence!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:19 am
priyanka.x.juneja wrote:Hi all! I plan to start taking practice tests on a weekly basis starting next weekend (a total of 8 tests before my exam date). I will be using Manhattan Prep CATs, the two given by GMAT prep, and the two that can be purchased via exam pack. My question is, does it matter which order I take these in? I've heard that the Manhattan Prep CATs are harder...is there some strategy in saving them till closer to exam date? Should I alternate with the GMAT prep tests? Just curious if this matters at all! Thanks in advance :)
Thank you for your message! Test preparation is solely based on each individual's needs. Below is a link that may assist you with deciding which products will be best for your study needs.

For tips on how prepare for the exam and access test preparation materials, please visit: https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/pre ... -exam.aspx.

Five Quick Study Tips: https://www.mba.com/us/plan-for-business ... -gmat.aspx.

Please note: The best strategy is to keep working on practice items and make sure your timing is adequate to finish each section. Take a look at the section scores, rather than focusing on the Total score and see if you can figure out where you may be able to improve. You may want to try taking the practice tests again to make sure you have the timing right and to see which section you want to focus your practice time on.

Thanks!
Leah
Customer Care Team
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!