Time Taken to Answer Each Question?

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Time Taken to Answer Each Question?

by Shakum » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:52 pm
Hello,

I am preparing for the GMAT and I am confused in relation to the time dedicated to answer each question in the Test.

Ideally, we must target to answer each question faster, so that we can save time on the easy/ simple questions and utilize the saved time to answer tricky questions. But, I have been advised that the Computer does not recognize the answer submitted in a shorter duration (as compared to the average duration) and thus the over all score goes down, reason being, the Computer assesses such answers as 'chosen/ submitted by fluke' .

Kindly help to advise whether the Candidate needs to answer each question strictly as per the average response time or he/she can answer an easier question utilizing less time than the usual average time?

Thanks in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:35 pm
Hi Shakum,

The amount of time spent answering a question has NO impact on how your score is calculated. The only impact would occur if you left questions unanswered (meaning that you ran out of time and did not answer every question in a section).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:20 am
Shakum wrote:Hello,

I am preparing for the GMAT and I am confused in relation to the time dedicated to answer each question in the Test.

Ideally, we must target to answer each question faster, so that we can save time on the easy/ simple questions and utilize the saved time to answer tricky questions. But, I have been advised that the Computer does not recognize the answer submitted in a shorter duration (as compared to the average duration) and thus the over all score goes down, reason being, the Computer assesses such answers as 'chosen/ submitted by fluke' .

Kindly help to advise whether the Candidate needs to answer each question strictly as per the average response time or he/she can answer an easier question utilizing less time than the usual average time?

Thanks in advance.
The algorithm does contain a feature that attempts to assess the likelihood that you've guessed correctly, but as Rich noted, it's not based on how much time you spent on a question. (If, for example, you received a total of 5 questions at a certain level, and you missed 4 of them, there's a reasonable likelihood that you may have guessed correctly on the one you got right.)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:59 pm
Shakum wrote: Ideally, we must target to answer each question faster, so that we can save time on the easy/ simple questions and utilize the saved time to answer tricky questions.
In addition to what David & Rich have said about the scoring algorithm, I want to point out that your above logic is flawed.

On a paper-based (i.e. non-adaptive) test, you might attempt to finish all of the easier questions quickly, and spend more time on the more difficult ones. This is a bad strategy on an adaptive test, though. If you speed through the easy questions, you increase the likelihood that you'll make careless mistakes and get them wrong. If that happens, you'll never get to the harder questions!

Instead, do this:

Easy questions:
1. Ask yourself - am I sure that this is really easy? Am I missing something / falling for an obvious trap?
2. Quickly redo the problem / double-check your logic to make CERTAIN that you got it right.

Hard questions:
1. Look at the clock - are you ahead or behind?
2. If behind, take 15 seconds to form a decent guess, then move on.
3. If ahead, take 1:00min to think through the problem and start to work on it. If it still feels hard - if you're not getting anywhere - guess and move on. Save that time for a more getable problem!
-
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education